Chapter 4

If she had to eat lunch with Neteyam again, she was at least going to do it in the forest this time, in her safe space.

"Tell Neteyam to meet me where we first met," She had ordered her father, and he did so.

When Neteyam showed up at lunchtime on his ikran, carrying two bowls of chopped fruit, she was surprised and honestly a bit impressed that he had actually remembered their first meeting spot.

"Hello." The genuine smile on his face was contagious. "I brought fruit."

"I cooked up some nantang for us." She had spent the morning hunting down the pack and picking out and killing the meatiest one. Currently, the skinned carcass was roasting above a small fire.

The sight of the roasting animal stopped Neteyam in his tracks. "You know how to hunt nantang?"

In his experience, they had been the hardest to learn how to kill. The palulukan were predictably territorial, and the talioang were slow and easy to kill from the air.

But nantang? They were feral, and would do things a hunter would never be ready for. Plus, they swarm. Even when you think there are a lot of them nearby, there are always more than you estimate.

"Yes, of course. Why would you think a full-time forest dweller like me would not know how to hunt all of its inhabiting animals?"

"I didn't mean it like-"

She scoffed dismissively. "Of course, of course. You would never mean it that way." Sarcasm.

Neteyam took a second to compartmentalize his pride and asked, "Will you teach me? How to hunt them, I mean."

She was thoroughly taken aback, not expecting a mighty clan warrior, let alone the Tsahik's own grandson, to want to learn her ways. "I- uh- yeah, okay. We can hunt some after lunch, if you want. For your family."

He had to take a moment to think, knowing that he'd be missing archery training. Everyone would want to know where he was, and he would need to end up lying. "Yes, I would."

They finished lunch while discussing hunting styles. Leyra was astounded that Neteyam had aided in catching 'angtsik a few times, not being able to wrap her head around how much meat would have to be hauled back home.

Eventually, Leyra was able to track down the pack of nantang with a sprinkle of helpful hints from Neteyam. He knew what the clan's warriors were trained to know. Knowledge that she would have wanted desperately a few years ago, but now took with a tad of mistrust and pride. Her methods were just as good as the well-refined practices of the clan.

Leyra showed him how the creatures behave differently than the other species, but were predictable by their instinct to kill by any means necessary.

"What would you least expect, but is still effective in killing? That's what they do. They want to throw you off," Leyra explained quietly. The two were laying on their stomachs behind a small hill, watching the pack from a distance.

It was hard for Neteyam to think outside of the box. He couldn't think of anything unexpected that they might try. "Right," he nodded along.

"We try to find the weak ones, and separate them from the pack as well as we can." Neteyam explained.

"The weakest? Like, the young, or the sick?"

"Yes. They're easiest."

"That's terrible! If you want to eat something, you should earn it. If you can't face the strongest of them you do not deserve to receive their nutrients."

"But why put in the unnecessary risk? The weakest are least likely to injure one of our own."

"Maybe, if you put the balance of the forest before yourselves, you would understand. It is for honorability."

He could tell she was getting heated and raised his hands in defeat. "I see you, I see you. Though, I do not agree."

She sighed, having hoped that she was getting somewhere with him. "Yes, of course. You don't need to agree."

He could see the fire and passion in her eyes die out and, shockingly to him, it hurt him. He wanted to support her, he just couldn't justify her putting herself at more risk than necessary.

"I mean this with all due respect, but it surprises me that you're still alive. You favor the forest more than yourself, and the forest is not kind to anyone."

"I suppose I have been lucky."

"If you think about it that way, I guess I am, too."

Soon enough, Neteyam knew he had to return to camp before people started worrying. They had decided not to catch any nantang, as the pack had already suffered one loss that day.

After debating internally whether to ask him the favor, Leyra finally gave in for fear of the dark. "Can you give me a ride up to camp? I'm pretty sure my dad's meeting is going to run late."

Leyra was annoyed with herself to be relying on such a person, but Neteyam was elated that she was comfortable enough to ride with him. Though, he hid it well via chivalry and obligation.

"Absolutely, Leyra. We wouldn't want you to be alone in the forest at night, now would we?" She could read right through him to his smugness. She rolled her eyes, despite the small smile peaking its way out.

He called his ikran right to where they were, wanting to ride with her as long as he could. The sun was setting and he could sense she liked the view while flying.

He sat her in front of him on the animal and adjusted her by her waist so he could see clearer.

"You good? Ready to go?" He had a plan.

"Mm-hmm." She nodded, looking back at him. She was confused on why he was grinning so widely.

He took off from a standstill, and shot straight upwards. Leyra reached around and grabbed onto the outside of his leg as support.

"By Eywa, Neteyam! What are you do- aagh!" He suddenly swooped down into the forestry, dodging between trees. She shriveled into him. Had her father never messed around with her on his ikran?

"Neteyam!" she shrieked, too terrified to be ashamed of how her voice sounded. Her eyes were slammed shut and she was squeezing his ikran for dear life.

He finally relented, emerging over a cliff and gliding above the water of the ocean.

"Leyra, open your eyes." His tone was gentle and encouraging enough that she obeyed. And she was glad she did.

The sunset was reflecting off the water in shades one could only imagine. The waves were peacefully swishing. Neteyam ordered his ikran to dip its wing in the water, effectively spraying the two Na'vi with ocean water.

Leyra only laughed, her annoyance and fear dissipating immediately at the view.

"This is amazing!" She shouted over the air rushing past them.

"I know. Don't you want your own ikran? The freedom of flying?"

Her demeanor fell, her curling in on herself.

"If only it was that simple. Take me home, please?"

He could sense her depression at the subject and dropped it completely, doing as she asked of him.