Chapter thirty-one

I paid attention as always. Charlie and I didn’t talk much during the day, at lunch we went to the cafeteria to eat, Athena had prepared lunch for me.

“Wifey material” Charlie joked, and I just smiled.

“She is” She looked at me, weirded out by my comment, and I raised my eyebrows.

“Wait, do you actually like her?”

“I’ve always thought she was great.”

“I mean, if you like her romantically, Alex, don’t play stupid.”

“I do” I admitted, and her jaw dropped.

“She’s out of your league, Alex.”

“You’d think” I smirked, and her eyes widened.

“What do you mean?” I shrugged “Alex told me NOW” she demanded, and I laughed.

“Not here, but for your information she’s not out of my league, at all” She was still shocked.

The bell rang, and we made our way to PE. Mrs. Peterson looked at us and smiled.

“Alex, you are sitting at the bench today” she said, and I nodded, I sat next to her, and as the rest of the class left to play softball, we started chatting.

“So how did your first day go?”

“It went well, I think.”

“Well, Anna told me you did great. Will you be able to keep up with both school and working? I don’t want your job to affect your grades.”

“Honestly, I’m doing great, I’ve been feeling a little tired, but it’s not getting in the way.”

“Well, if you ever feel like you can’t keep up, just let me know, and we’ll find a solution, ok?”

“Ok, thank you” I smiled.

“So, you and Athena, are you dating?”

“Uhm, not exactly, I don’t know what we are.”

“Well, do you have feelings for her?”

“Yes, of course, I want her, I want to be with her.”

“Well then tell her and do something about it, otherwise Athena won’t do anything, and you’ll drift apart, that’s what she does.”

“She does that?”

“Yes, she doesn’t let her guard down easily.”

“Then it looks like I have to do something about it” we talked about the club for the rest of the class and she let me go 10 minutes earlier than the rest of the students, which meant that I had around twenty minutes alone time with Athena.

I went to her classroom and knocked on the door.

“Come in” I got in and closed the door behind me. She looked up and smiled at me.

“Athena, I wanted to talk about something.”

“What is it?” she frowned.

“You know I like you, but I don’t want to just keep messing around like we do, I want to be with you.”

“Alex, I don’t know” she shook her head.

“What do you mean you don’t know? You admitted that you have feelings for me.”

“Yes, but I’m not sure I want to be in a relationship at the moment, let alone in one with my student.”

“Are you kidding me” I whisper-yelled “I thought we were past the stage of denial Athena.”