Chapter 44 - Key Moment

In the castle courtyard, there was an incredible and opaque tangle

In the castle courtyard, there was an incredible and opaque tangle. The Sheriff of Nottingham tried to control it with harsh orders and soldiers while their lordships were escorted to safety by their guards. Crowds of people rushed to the gates, soldiers pushed them back, and shouting came from everywhere. The stable had caught fire, and even if it was slowly brought under control, horses were still running crisscross. The men barely managed to catch the startled animals. Mothers called for their children, desperate cries mingled with the loud crackling of the fire, groaning wood, neighing horses, and barked orders echoing across the castle courtyard. A tremendous noise level and mindless chaos, as if a fox had invaded the henhouse. And all because of...

"Hood!" blared Guy of Gisborne's voice, spurred on by all the anger that seethed within him. This was supposed to be a joyous celebration, and now that filthy good-for-nothing had ruined it all again!

With shock, Guy watched Robin snatch Marian from a guard's hands.

"Just a little more, Sire," chimed in beside him as his anger burned brighter than the flames around him.

"Get on with it! Lift the damn thing already!" he barked at the men pushing the farm wagon upwards with groans. Immediately he crawled out from under the cart. His body ached, and for a moment, Guy had to hold on to himself to keep from breaking. But immediately, his attention was fixed again on what was really important: Marian.

Guy was about to turn his steps towards the action when one of the soldiers near Marian suddenly threw the lady over his shoulder. Gisborne's features slipped at the sight, and for a second, he stared, stunned at the image, before quickening his pace. Until now, he could have justified the soldiers' involvement - but this was clearly going too far. Only now did he realize that something was wrong.

His gaze rushed back and forth between Robin and Marian. Her red hair disappeared between the fleeing people, and Guy stumbled to the side to avoid a steed. Everything in him bristled and tore. What was he to do? He had to make a quick decision: Nail Hood or save Marian? He didn't even have to finish those thoughts to have already made the decision.

"Damn!" Guy picked up speed and immediately ran in the direction the disguised guards tried to escape with the clamoring Marian.

"Sheriff!" He yelled, hoping his voice would manage to rise above all the noise. One of the damned bards was even still playing his goddamn lute!

Two soldiers turned their heads, one running toward the Sheriff to divert his attention.

"Father!" shouted Guy, and now the scowling Sheriff of Nottingham turned his head in his direction. Guy pointed at Hood, who was tugging at the knife that held him against the stand wall.

"Robin Hood! Set him down! Quick!" he shouted, but without slowing his steps. He ran on, past fleeing people he pushed aside and servants and soldiers who brought water in a chain.