Chapter 42 - The Fire

The point penetrated the end of the arrow, severing the winding of the shaft, and with a loud crack, Marian's arrow burst beneath the threshold, splitting it

The point penetrated the end of the arrow, severing the winding of the shaft, and with a loud crack, Marian's arrow burst beneath the threshold, splitting it. Splinters and straw scattered to the ground while Robin's eyes still rested on the nobles, unchanged on Marian. He knew what would follow now: cheers, amazement, and breathless bewilderment! After all, he had once been unable to believe such a shot was even possible!

With a broad grin from ear to ear, he performed a sweeping bow for his spectators. He was ready to receive homage for his outstanding shot. Staring disbelief and open mouths marked many of the faces. Exactly what Robin had expected and hoped for. Nothing like this had ever been seen before.

But then suddenly a woman screamed shrilly. Many more people followed the first shriek, and within seconds, unholy chaos broke out over the castle courtyard. Robin Hood did not understand what was happening until he followed the pointing finger of a lady with her face contorted in terror and turned his head.

A fire had broken out in a corner of the castle. Blazing flames immediately took hold of everything around them. A stall not far away began to burn as the sparks spread to the colorful fabrics. The wind only made it worse as it further fanned even small pockets of fire. These resumed on straw on the ground, and quickly, the raging flames reached the stables.

Shouts of jubilation receded into the distance as screams rose to the confusion of fear and panic. People scattered like drops of water, dashing away in all directions, over boundaries and other people. Some without regard for casualties. Blind with mortal fear, they pushed each other out of the way or to the ground, stumbling and dragging others with them. A man crashed into one of the stalls; ceramic ware and vases clanged and scattered in a sea of shards across the lawn. Immediately servants and soldiers rushed toward the stalls to try to stop the fire quickly before it spread to buildings. Shrill whinnies of horses and the crash of hooves against wood resounded like thunder across the courtyard.

"Get the lords and ladies to safety!" the voice of Lord De Burgh echoed loudly across the courtyard, followed by the roar of the Sheriff of Nottingham and his commander.

Soldiers of many houses rushed to their masters, pushing others aside in their reckless flight, forgetting their oh-so-fine upbringing. In fear of death, commoners and nobles were the same in the end.

A soldier in the tabard of the De Burgh family also pushed his way through the people towards Lady Marian. "This way, my lady! I'll take you to safety!" At this, he reached for her upper arm and grasped it so roughly that Marian contorted her face in pain.

"Let go! You're hurting me!" she indignantly said, but the man did not loosen his grip. "Didn't you hear me?" she hissed more firmly, reaching for the fingers that had closed around her arm like a vice.

"Come on! It's for your own good, my lady!" he said instead. Was Marian mistaken, or did he sound rushed? At that moment, a man briskly bumped into the soldier, and with a metallic clang, the iron helmet fell to the ground. Dirty brown hair and restless, rushed eyes came to light, and at that moment, Marian recognized the fellow from the forest: he was one of Scarlet's gang!