vii. love wins

It was a sublime, quiet night full of stars. The moonlight drained sweet glitter in the room of Seti. However, he wasn't able to sleep. Neither did he wish to. With his staff as support, he walked to Inanna's room, luckily finding the door left ajar.

He went and sat on the bed, beside her sleeping form. Her chest rose and fell like the tides of Nile. Even while sleeping her arms were covered.

But she had removed her gloves.

Seti's eyes bulged out when he saw that her right palm was golden. Or more like, filled in gold. The crevices on her palm, the remnants of the scars, the burnt skin that had peeled away– they were all healed in gold.

With quivering fingers he lifted up her sleeve. His eyes travelled the lines of gold, how they intricately kept the scars hidden, how they elevated her to someone special by becoming a part of her body. Seti considered if he should lift more of the sleeve. He swore he was doing it to just get a confirmation, he had no ill intention–

Like not the arrival of spring but the attack of a lightning bolt, a slap landed on Seti's face. Inanna was awoke, her nostrils flaring in rage as she gritted her teeth.

"They healed you, Neferneferure?"

Her breath got stuck in the throat. She tried to moisten her parched lips.

"I guess it's futile running now," Seti said, running his hand over her right arm.

"Is it?" she asked.

"Don't try to run away from me, Neferneferure. Why would you even do that?"

"I-I have been proved wrong in various ways, Seti." Sobs muffled her words. She covered her face and cried. Seti caressed her head. "Why do you speak so, my love?" he asked.

"I was so very proud of my beauty and status as a princess. I was fond of everything luxurious and pretty, thinking I was entitled to everything good in the world. But-but the fire–"

She flinched. Seti brought her closer, but not completely embraced her due to the lack of permission.

"The fire destroyed my beauty! My right arm was burning! It-it was destroyed, in plain words. Even certain parts of my body suffered. The healers, even though they filled the wounds of fire with gold and love, I know I now look so very different from all humans. I-I don't feel completely human at all. I feel like a strange creature."

"Indeed, you are not human."

Neferneferure hiccuped.

Seti ran his fingers through her open hair. "You are a special soul now. You have been reborn. Gold runs in the blood of the gods. You have been reborn as divine."

"Words of flattery will not change the truth. I don't look the same now."

"But you are still my Neferneferure, and you will be so. If not the same, I shall love you more."

Neferneferure wanted to speak but he shushed her. "Hush, you do not dare think this to be sympathy. It's love if nothing greater."

Seti hovered over the choice of his next words. Neferneferure was blushing at his touch. He carefully embraced her, letting her rest her head on his chest. "Now, my princess, tell me who you think caused the fire."

She flinched a second time.

"You know it. You met the villain right?"

"I-I did," she whispered, a faint moan resounding in the air.

"And who is he?"

"Rahotep, your uncle."

Seti shivered like a dull twig. "Un-uncle?"

"Yes. He wanted to make a bridge between you two brothers forever. With you removed, he could handle Ausar alone. From what I concluded from the last words he told me before setting the room on fire, I understand he is behind the misunderstandings between you brothers."

Seti felt salty tears run down his cheeks. Neferneferure wiped them with her sleeves, her golden fingers cooling his warm skin.

"He had always been hungry for the throne. He used to think it belonged to him after Father's death, and not Ausar. However, I believed that he loved me, cared for me, having seen his own young reflection in my soul. I-I just can't believe everything is an illusion now!"

"Royal politics is tough, my prince. It was good that the queen told me about an escape route."

"Had she sensed anything?"

"I don't know. She looked very sweaty and stressed. She had asked me to wait and ran to the king. Alas, everything happened in between. I was fortunate enough to come out alive if not unscathed from the flames. Forgive me, but the escape route shall remain a secret for the sake of a promise I had made to her."

"The queen must have got to sniff trouble. My brother should listen to her more!"

"And, pardon me for my words, you should have listened to your uncle less."

Seti clicked his tongue. "He fed my hatred and used me as a pawn. I never realised!"

"But now you do."

"Oh Neferneferure, it's the greatest blessing that you are alive, in my arms. It tells me that all is not over. We can begin anew. If you want, I shall leave all behind and start a new life. Just us, just–"

"No, Seti. That will be injustice. That will be cowardice."

Seti looked at her questioningly.

Neferneferure continued with the seriousness of a wise woman. "Your brother is in deep trouble. Rahotep plots his death to take the throne. He had to remove his rival," she pointed her finger at him, "you, first. And now he will take down Ausar. If not for the sake of your brother then for the sake of your kingdom we must return."

"I now doubt if those soldiers were sent after me by brother or uncle himself," Seti scoffed. "I will listen to you. After we are both recovered, we will journey back to Luxor."

"I have another wish, if you shall keep it."

"Tell me without hesitation."

"I know I had many big dreams about my marriage. Perhaps you had too. Lots of people, a grand feast, music and dance, the celebration of the era. But now, to be honest, they don't have any value to me. I miss my family, your family. I miss how King Ausar assured me you would be the best husband and how the queen taught me your favourite song. I miss them all. . ."

Seti cupped her face. Neferneferure touched her forehead with his.

"I wish to marry you, Seti. I know our family are not around, but I don't want to lose you again. I want to live as your wife. Life has taught me a lot and I don't want to regret."

Seti placed a kiss on her forehead. "And whatever you shall say, will happen. I will make it happen."