Chapter 6 - Arriving at the Castle

Eleanor packed all of the things that she would need for the week, including her notes from Thomas' training, into a large cloth bag and gave her family members a hug as they lined up to tell her goodbye outside Thomas' carriage.

"Good luck Eleanor," her Mom said with tears in her eyes as she hugged her tightly, sniffling on her shoulder.

"Mother, I'll only be gone for a week. I'm not leaving forever," Eleanor laughed.

"For some reason it feels like you are," she sniffled, as she stepped back, wiping her eyes. "It's going to be such a long week here without you. I'll be so worried. Make sure you write us a letter every day telling us how you are doing and what the royal family is like."

"I will. I promise," Eleanor nodded.

She gave Alice and Margaret a hug and Alice whispered, "Make sure you tell us all about King Henry in your letters too," she smiled, making Eleanor laugh again.

"I will," she told her.

Last in line, her Father gave her a hug and said, "It's hard to believe my little Eleanor is so grown up already," with a pained smile. Then he whispered so only she could hear, "Be careful my girl. Castles aren't known for being the safest places, especially for outsiders. I want you to come back here in one piece."

"I'm sure I'll be safe father, but I promise I'll be very careful," she whispered back, giving him another hug before finally getting into the carriage where Thomas was waiting impatiently.

"Took you long enough," he grumbled, as she took the seat across from him and waved to her family out the window as they pulled away down the lane.

"Now remember everything I've told you. Don't speak unless spoken to. Let them take the lead at meals and follow what they do ......"

He continued reciting the rules she needed to remember the entire way to the castle as she yawned, propping her chin up on her hand and watching houses go by out the window.

When they finally pulled up outside the golden castle gates, Eleanor was relieved to finally be there so she wouldn't have to hear any more rules. It had been a long two days and her head was spinning.

"Now listen," Thomas said, grabbing her hand to stop her before she could get out of the carriage. She turned to face him as he said, "I know you already know how important this week is for both of us. I just wanted to say that I know I've been hard on you, but I honestly think you can do this."

"Really?" she asked, surprised by his kind words.

"Yes," he nodded. "When we met, you had worse manners than a homeless beggar off the street," he laughed. "but after MY training you might just be able to fool people into thinking you actually belong on the royal court."

He looked awful proud of himself. She looked at him in disbelief, taking offense to his insults that were poorly disguised as a compliment.

"You don't think I belong on the royal court?" she asked.

He scoffed with a laugh. "No, of course not, but what I think doesn't really matter. What matters is whether or not THEY believe it. This is all just a formality anyway," he shrugged. "It doesn't matter."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, none of this really matters because after we're married I won't be bringing you with me when I visit the royal court and go to royal events anyway."

"Why not?" she asked with scrunched eyebrows.

"Because," he hesitated before saying, "you'd most likely just embarrass me and my family," as he buttoned up his suit jacket. "You'll be too busy at home watching the kids anyway."