Chapter 9

"She said no??"

"Shhh, Toddrick! Keep your voice down."

Only a handful of days after Noori's fruitless encounter with the art witch Keizsa, rough seas forced Toddrick and his father back to Fernweh's shores early. Even though she knew the shortened trip wasn't good for the Fairbanks family, Noori was grateful when she saw their vessel return so soon. Between taking care of both her father and the harbor — not to mention the sting of Keizsa's rejection — Noori desperately needed to see a friendly face. 

Toddrick had been by her side from the moment he set foot on the docks, but it hadn't been until after the day's work was done and the pair sat down for a meal that Noori was able to tell her about the art witch.

"Sorry," Toddrick whispered, glancing toward the kitchen ceiling above which Noori's father slept. "I just can't believe she would turn down someone in need like that."

Noori released a breath from her clenched lungs. She was relieved that Toddrick believed her story without question — the last thing she needed right now was her best friend thinking she was crazy. But, no; to Toddrick, the idea of an art witch was apparently just as plausible as Minty's herbalist stall at the market.

"You and me both," Noori replied. "And if that wasn't frustrating enough, she said she only accepts payment in the form of 'thing she needs'." She accentuated this by making a pair of air quotes with her fingers. "Apparently money isn't one of those things."

Toddrick huffed an incredulous laugh. "That must be quite the luxury."

With their dinner finished, the pair tackled the dishes. Noori scanned the kitchen in search of things that needed washing, and her eyes fell on her father's meal tray. The dinner he refused earlier still sat upon it, cold and untouched.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, Toddrick," she said sadly. "Papa isn't getting any better. The doctors are baffled and I'm just..." she bit her lower lip to steady its tremble. "I'm so scared for him."

Toddrick swept in and moved the offending tray out of sight. "I heard talk around the docks today," he said in a hushed tone. "More and more people have been falling ill. Every case sounds the same as your father's."

Noori shook her head. "I know. It just doesn't make sense."

Behind them the kettle began to sing. Wordlessly Noori took to fixing her father's tea — about the only thing he wouldn't turn down these days. The familiar, soothing aroma of mixed herbs filled her nose and for a split second she was almost able to pretend everything was normal.

But, as always, the moment didn't last.

"That witch was my last hope," she muttered. Behind her, Toddrick sighed. Noori knew it drove him mad that he couldn't fix this for her. But as noble as the notion was, his frustration bothered her. She turned and crossed her arms, fixing him under a challenging glare. "What?"

"Nothing," Toddrick replied, throwing his hands up defensively. "I'm just worried about you, Owusua."

"About me?" Noori shook her head. "I'm not the one dying in bed! He's all I have in this world, Toddrick." A lump formed in her throat, and she paused to swallow it back down. "There's nothing I wouldn't give to see him get well again."

Toddrick's face fell. He pouted like a wounded puppy. "He's not all you have, Noori."

At this, Noori bristled. She knew he was talking about himself. But even though he wasn't wrong, it didn't make her feel any better. Surely he knew his friendship and her father's life couldn't be compared. A flame of indignation flared to life in the pit of her stomach at the thought of soothing his ego on top of everything else.