Chapter 13

Dak Owusua had indeed made a miraculous recovery, much to both the delight and bewilderment of everyone who had witnessed his illness first hand. In fact, he was so healthy that he was back to work the very next day with his daughter at his side.

"Noori, my girl, you did an incredible job of managing the harbor on your own," Dak proclaimed proudly after he had gotten back up to speed on everything he had missed. "The ledgers are in order; the captains and crews are all happy — you're going to make an excellent harbor mistress one day."

Delighted by the praise, Noori beamed.

"One day," she said. "But I'm in no hurry. I'm looking forward to many more days of working by your side, Papa."

But Noori knew she couldn't take all the credit, which was why she made arrangements to volunteer her services at the Fairbanks' family fish stall. It was, as far as she was concerned, the least she could do to repay Toddrick for all the time he had spent helping her those many, tense and stressful days.

"You really don't have to do this," Toddrick said on Noori's first morning at the market. He paused to blow in the fresh, steaming cup of tea he clasped between hands. "It was my pleasure to help."

"And it's my pleasure to pay you back," Noori replied with a smile. She was happy — happier than she had been in such a long time. Even the idea of cleaning and tossing smelly fish all day couldn't dampen her mood. It was more than could be said for the day. Bleak grey clouds rolled in off the sea, coating the coast with a fine, cold drizzle. The market was quiet, which left the friends with time to talk. Noori sniffed at the pleasing aroma wafting from the teacup Toddrick was using to keep warm.

"What blend is that?" she asked. "I've never smelled anything quite like it."

"I'm not sure," Toddrick admitted, giving the tea a sniff of his own. "Minty gave it to me. She said it's good for one's immunity."

Noori grimaced. "Maybe I should pick some up too. The doctor said he and his colleagues still have no idea what the illness is or how it's spreading."

"Well, you best get in line then," Toddrick said, nodding over his shoulder in the direction of the stall beside them. "Her stall is always busy."

Leaning back to get a better look, Noori spotted Minty, bubbly as always, chatting with a customer. Her glossy wheat colored hair cascaded over her ever-present fur stol, which she wore bundled beneath her chin to fend off the creeping cold of the morning. They hadn't seen much of each other since her father fell ill, and Noori could see at a glance why: the modest stall teemed with curious customers and window-shoppers alike. Noori wondered how many of them were actually there to buy something and some many were simply there to gaze at the pretty herbalist.

"Do you think she has any more of those Splunk plants?" Noori asked, scanning the what she could see of Minty's inventory through the crowd.

Toddrick spluttered on his tea. "The what plants?"

"You know — the tea plant she gave to Papa," Noori explained. "I was tidying his room the other day and noticed it died."

Toddrick chuckled. "I thought you hated that thing. You said it was hideous."

"And I stand by it," Noori said. "But Papa loved it."

At that moment, Minty caught sight of the pair watching her from the corner of her eye. She smiled wide and gave them a big, enthusiastic wave. Noori and Toddrick laughed and returned the gesture.

"Enough about ugly Splunk plants," Toddrick said, turning back to Noori conspiratorially. "You still haven't told me about what happened with the witch."