Chapter 4

Once we got there, I realized it was gonna be even worse than I thought. The main hall was ABSOLUTELY PACKED UP. And I really mean it. It was so cramped that me and Jake kept on bumping into everyone while trying to to make it to the center table. Eventually when we were like halfway there, he just decided to stretch himself to the other side, and reached his arms out to pull me over from there. I briefly checked my right robotic arm to see that the metal had fully regrown, and that I seemed to be physically healed. But mentally, not at ALL. Now I was REALLY feeling like some nervous wreck and stuff, being surrounded by all these people, still not feeling fully up to all of this. I stood behind the cake and took a final glimpse at everyone. Dang, I felt sick. Like actually sick and nauseous to the point where I felt like I could pass out.

Jake didn't seem to notice how I was feeling anymore. He just ended up turning around and talking to everyone in a loud voice to make sure they all heard him. "Okay everybody. On the count of three, we're all gonna sing along to Marceline's song." He turned around and looked at me. "Finn, this song was made by Marcy for you. Hope you love it." That bad feeling I was already feeling was amplified when I heard that. I was expecting a generic happy birthday song or something. Not a song that was made solely for me. Me as in Finn who everyone thinks I am, and not ME as Fern. who I actually am. I just felt like putting my head on the table next to me, only I didn't. I probably already looked weird enough. I just tried to brace myself for the worst.

Marceline flew into the middle of the crowd and started singing the song. She played her guitar while she sang out the lyrics. The room then went dark, with two only spotlights: one above me, and another above Marcy, exposing the two of us.

Jake then said "On three. One! Two! Three!"

Then Marceline started singing, with a large amount of the crowd singing back.

"I know you aged once more,
And you wanna know what else life has in store,
But don't you think you should take things easy
When your old self is leaving through the door?

That old self, it's withering away.
That old joy, of another adventure today.
I'm not so sure if you ready to move on
Or for as long as you can, try to make it all stay.

Either way we all change, like it or not.
Try to stop it, you'll end up in an endless maze.
Now, Finn Mertens. I can tell you're in a mental haze.
Who you truly are, what's at the end of destiny?
Well, only you can gaze."

I just froze and locked myself away into my thoughts yet again. The lyrics and all that just made me feel so much more... Not... Like I'm who I want to really be... I don't know.. But the part where she referred to me as Finn Mertens... Finn's full name.. Along with... the lyrics such as "Who you truly are...." It... it just served as a painful reminder for me to remember that I'm not who I wanted to be! I didn't want to be merely Grass Finn anymore. I wanted to be the real Finn Mertens and feel like him too! But.. Despite all this I just can't feel like him. I keep getting reminded that I'm Fern, and that the only reason people care about me is because I was merely impersonating the real Finn.

I was so wrapped up in all my mental junk to the point where I wasn't even paying attention to the lyrics anymore. I was just standing there feeling all sick. Something about the song itself combined with my maze of thoughts and all made me feel like I was on the brink of passing out. Though when I started to slowly get less queasy, I glanced at my arms for a brief second before noticing that my human skin and robotic metal were... Peeling off? It looked as if my grass body was starting to reveal itself under my Finn form. I nearly freaked out again, only managing to stop myself from panicking before I started hyperventilating. I took a quick look around the room to see if anyone noticed me on the brink of panicking. Nobody did thankfully.

EXCEPT for Jake I think. He noticed I was in a certain mood. But he seemed to have misinterpreted WHAT that mood thing was. He out loud said to Marceline, "Hey Marcy, he seems moved by the song. Sing louder!" My jaw just dropped when he said that. I felt like banging my head on the table at this point, only I obviously couldn't do that in front of everyone.

Marceline looked at Jake once he said that, giving him some kind of smile, as she suddenly cranked up the volume on her guitar, and sang as loud as she could.

"I KNOW YOU'RE STUCK IN YOUR OWN BUBBLE,
AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.
BUT DEEP DOWN WITHIN YOU, THE CURSE OF IDENTITY,
IT THROWS YOU IN A CONSTANT STRUGGLE.

THE BUTTERFLIES AND BEES DISAPPEAR,
MAKING US ALL SHED A TEAR,
WHAT'S AT THE END OF DESTINY, WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN?
WELL THAT'S FOR YOU TO DECLARE!"

By this point Finn form was falling apart. I just felt like at any minute the grass manifesting into it was gonna just completely shed off of me and reveal my actual self as Fern. I looked in all my directions to see if anyone noticed, and I think some MIGHT have noticed something odd about me, but I can't be sure cuz there wasn't any light in the room besides the two spotlights above me and Marceline. I don't know how this was even happening... I guess something about the lyrics felt like it resonated something in my very soul, but not in the way it was intended to. Just in a way that kept on painfully making me feel less and less like who I wanted to be. I tried my best to just calm myself down as in my mind I just thought to myself, "Alright. Just chill out and leave all your thoughts in the vault for now. Just take a deep breath and try to just imagine you're actually Finn and things should be alright."

But then Marcy ended up singing out loud... This:

"BUT THE INEVITABLE IS COMING AND YOU'RE GONNA END UP CHANGED,
THE INNOCENCE WITHIN YOU, WELL AGE HAS SET THAT ABLAZE.
NOW, FINN MERTENS. I CAN TELL YOU'RE IN IN A MENTAL HAZE.
YOUR TRUE SELF SHOWS AS YOU GROW,
SO LIE IN DOWN IN THE GRASSY FIELD AS IT SHOWS!"

I... I lost it right there. I just simply couldn't get myself to feel like I was Finn anymore. I got so disoriented by this song that I couldn't even stand up properly. So I ended up falling over onto my back from being so dizzy and hit the floor.