WITH YOU TILL THE END - 16

Sunrays peeked through the curtains, illuminating the sleeping figures of Scarlett and Markus, nestled in each other's embrace. Markus squirmed a little before slowly opening his eyes and gazing at the beautiful woman sleeping in his arms peacefully. He gently shifted sideways, caressing her locks, as a thought made its way in his mind,
She is so serene.

Scarlett wriggled on the bed and heard his deep, husky voice saying, "Good morning, Scarlett." It took her a moment to erase sleepiness from her mind and as she gained her senses, she blushed upon realising their close proximity.

"Good morning." Coyly, she replied. Markus observed her, noticing her shy features and the deep blush that covered her cheeks. He wondered if she had ever been this close to a man before, compelling him to playfully remark, "Stop pushing me away. I quite like it." Instinctively, she buried her face against his chest, seeking refuge from her shyness. He chuckled, and planted a tender kiss on her head, surprising her.

"You are beautiful." He whispered and no matter how many times she had heard those words from him, they always had the same effect on her.

"Get changed. I need to talk to you about something. Okay ?" His voice was devoid of demand but was laced with determination. She nodded quickly before sliding off the bed.

As she left the room, Markus sat with his back against the bedrest and the words that he had once heard from Sam eight years ago suddenly echoed in his mind,

In the midst of all this chaos,
It's her love keeping me sane.

"Love." He repeated to himself, a gentle smile spreading across his face.

Meanwhile, in her room, Scarlett stood before the mirror, observing her reflection. As she gazed at herself, she saw a woman who had once been infatuated by the man, she had now found herself sleeping in the arms of. She recalled how she initially admired him for his good looks and success, unaware of the hardships that he had been through.

Her fingers traced a small cut on her arm that was bandaged by Markus and her mind drifted back to his words, "I'll never let anything happen to you."

"What are you doing to me, Markus ?" She murmered, a small smile forming on her lips.

___________________________________________

After finishing their morning routines they changed into different attire and sat on the sofa in Markus' room. She wore a beautiful navy blue pencil dress while Markus opted for a white shirt paired with brown cargo pants.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about ?" Scarlett asked.

He let out a sigh of frustration and reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers, he placed their joined hands on his lap.

"Scarlett, these men that I am dealing with are very dangerous. You have already seen a glimpse of that." He said, looking at her fearful expression. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe but I'll need you to do something for me. Will you ?"

"Uh..hmm" She hummed. He smiled.

"I want you to tell me the names of everyone that is close to you." He said, scaring Scarlett more. She abruptly rose up from her seat and said, her voice stammering, "What..what do you mean ? They can...they can hurt my mom and..Elena."

Acknowledging her fear, he stood up and gently pulled her in his arms, wrapping her waist in his arms.

"Hey ! I understand you're scared but I promise I'll not let anything happen to you or your loved ones. You just need to trust me." As he assured her, their gazes locked, he slowly leaned down and pressed his lips softly against her's. Responding to his gesture, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer as they shared a heartfelt kiss, carrying an unspoken promise of safety and trust.