The accident

~Viraj~

It was a peaceful night. I was already drunk, and my favorite music was playing in the car. I had always loved cars and driving, and drinking too. I was on my way home, when at around 12:30 a.m., a faint figure of a girl suddenly appeared in front of my car. Immediately, I pulled the brakes to avoid the misfortune. The car stopped. Angrily, I stepped out. She stood there like a corpse. I just reached for her hand and in the moment of anger, I said "So, you just had to come in front of my car to die, huh?". I had already lost my calm and composed mood, and was ready to give her a good lesson for her act.

As soon as she turned towards me, she fell unconscious in my arms. I did not know how to react. I held her as tightly as possible to prevent her from falling. And suddenly, all my anger and frustration vanished. Her hair was open, and some strands of her hair had covered her face so I couldn't see her face properly. A soft breeze of wind passed around us, and the strand of the hair gently moved from her face. Now, under the moonlight, I could see her face shining as the moon itself. She had cuts and bruises all over her body, her hand was bleeding, and yet she looked like an angel. It was because of the moonlight that I could see her face, the motionless face that looked way too innocent and kind. For a moment, I forgot to breathe. For a moment, I forgot that the girl was unconscious. Because all that I could see at that moment was how precious she looked.

I quickly lift her up in my arms and put her inside my car. Though I was drunk, I was still in my senses to understand everything. I took her to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. I carried her into the hospital, and told the doctor to examine her. Everyone gave me a suspicious look when I told them about what actually happened. I knew that it would be difficult to make them understand the truth, but I honestly didn't care at all. They all assumed that I have hit her with my car, and all the injuries on her body were caused because of me. And to add more to their evidence, I was drunk. I didn't look like a gentleman either. I was dressed in my casual pants and a black vest. They didn't need anything more to declare me as the culprit. Soon, the cops were called as there was still ambiguity about the case. I was the prime suspect.

I regretted my decision of bringing her to the hospital. I could've just left her there on the road. I wasn't so kind and generous to help people. But I guess she was an exception. I don't know why.

The cops questioned me for a while, and the girl was still unconscious and under observation. They recorded my statement. All I said was the truth because there was nothing to lie about. They didn't look as if they'd believe me. But it didn't matter, since no one has ever believed in me. I don't even expect it from anyone anymore.

As soon as she regained consciousness, the cops went to ask her some questions. They went into the room, giving me a scary look. I wasn't scared of them. All I was concerned about was going away from the hospital as soon as possible. When they came back from the room, they smiled at me. I was shocked for a moment. They thanked me for saving her life, and said that I could leave as they have recorded the girl's statement too. I don't know what did she tell them, but I was satisfied that I didn't get involved in any kind of mess.

The policemen looked in a hurry, as if they have to head somewhere as soon as possible. They soon left. I went to the doctor to ask about the girl's condition, and he said that she was better now, though she was still weak because of the blood loss. I wanted to see her once, and at least ask her how she was feeling. So I went inside the room.

There I saw her, dressed in the clothes still covered by blood. She was sobbing. And it wasn't a simple crying. It looked as if she was crying for help, as if she was crying to overcome a great loss, as if she was crying to escape from everything around her. She looked disgusted on seeing her blood stained clothes. I slowly went closer to her and asked, "How are you feeling now?". She looked at me, teary-eyed, and said, "Thank you for saving my life". I simply kept quiet. I know I shouldn't say anything to her at this point. But I was still concerned for her. So instead of asking her anything further, I went to the doctor.

The doctor said that she had gone through a serious trauma, and she has injuries not only on her body but on her mind too. He said that they have not been able to understand the cause of her injuries yet, but she had told them that she didn't want to go home.

"For how long is she supposed to stay here, doctor?" I asked.

"She'll be fine by tomorrow morning so she can leave. But remember, she has gone through some disturbing face and needs lots of care and attention. She's still too weak mentally and physically, and she has to visit us every week", the doctor replied. He continued " Listen, you look like a responsible and kind man, so I request you to take her with you, just for a couple of days until she regains her strength".

I stood there shocked. I didn't know how to react. It all felt like a burden now. But I had no other option. Despite the bitterness in my heart for the world, I still had to take her home. Though I didn't want to, I had to take care of her.

I spent the whole night in the waiting area of the hospital. In the morning, I saw the girl walking feebly out of the ward.

"I'm sorry to trouble you so much, but I promise I will leave soon", she said.

" Okay", I simply replied.

I wasn't the kind of guy who talked much. Especially with strangers. I liked to keep my feelings to myself. She might think that I was too arrogant, but I was actually not. I just didn't interact much. With just few things to talk on the way, we finally reached my apartment.