XLIV

"Forever and ever, kid, until you're sick and tired of seeing me." Marie Lu, Legend

---- 

XLIV.

Adam cleared his throat, and anyone near him could hear that he was shaky. The emotion and gravity of the day was most definitely affecting him, and Perrie could not help but look upon her beloved father with tears in her eyes.

"I would ask everyone to please charge your glasses." Adam lifted his own goblet of champagne as he looked to Perrie and Joe, who sat beside one another now as husband and wife.

Every member of Perrie's family lifted their glasses in anticipation.

"I never wanted this day to come," Adam began simply. "I never could have imagined parting with my first-born child, with any of my children, and feeling any sort of good emotion surrounding the occasion. In fact," Adam laughed as he recalled, "I once joked to Grace that I would dress in mourning attire if ever I were compelled to attend the wedding of one of my children."

"He did," Grace confirmed from her chair beside Adam. There was a rumble of laughter that followed.

Perrie, herself, did not laugh. She stifled tears as she looked upon her father in his brilliant new coat, which was most definitely not for mourning.

"I have made a point, both Grace and I have, to raise our children differently. And in doing this, we have actively encouraged traits in Perrie that would have been extinguished in different circumstances. Perrie," Adam looked down upon Perrie then, and she sucked in a deep breath to try and stifle her tears. "Your temper is fearsome, and your heart is as deep as the ocean. You fight fire with fire, and you know not how to do anything by half. Your passion and your tenderness are a credit to your will, and anyone who has the privilege to be loved by you is a lucky man indeed. I am immensely proud of who you are, my dear one. And to know that you are happy is all I need in order to stand here today and make this toast."

Perrie was uncertain if her father had finished his toast, but she could not remain in her chair any longer. She abandoned it with such haste that the chair fell over backwards and made a very loud crashing noise on the floor. Nevertheless, Perrie threw her arms around her father, who promptly sloshed his champagne over his own chair owing to the force of Perrie's hug.

"I love you, Papa," Perrie declared, her voice muffled as her face was pressed into her father's lapel.

Adam chuckled quietly. "You have no comprehension of the love I have for you, my dear girl."

A few moments later, Perrie released her father, and he lifted his nearly empty glass once more. She returned to her seat, where Joe tenderly took Perrie's hand underneath the table. His thumb brushed over her knuckles soothingly as Adam's attention turned to Joe.

"Joe," he began, clearing his thick throat once more.

Perrie felt her husband stiffen beside her. The thought of Joe as her husband startled her almost. It was odd how quickly she had gotten used to referring to her once mortal enemy as such. But Joe clearly had not expected to hear something especially for him.

"I could threaten to kill you if you hurt my daughter, but I am fairly certain Perrie has that side of things well handled." Animated laughter once again filled the ballroom, which had been staged with food laden tables, and chairs for all of Perrie's family members to occupy.

Joe, too, laughed, and Perrie grinned sheepishly. Joe squeezed her hand.

"No, but in all seriousness, I never thought I could part with my daughter for anyone. I never imagined be able to part with any of my children. I never thought I would have to, seeing as I would need to give my permission, and no man would ever be enough to deserve one of my precious daughters.