Chapter 6

Morgan

I opened my eyes and was immediately met with three smiling faces. Dr. Yuri, Adina and my dad.

"Ugh turn that noise off" I said, pertaining to the loud beeping noises.

"Thats the ECG machine, it's keeping track of your heart rate' Dr. Yuri said.

"Oh yeah? well it's making this headache worse."

"Morgan, do you remember what happened?" Dr. Yuri asked.

"I got lightheaded and passed out" I answered.

"It's more complex than that" he told me.

"Give it to me in plain terms then" I told him.

"I always keep it straight with you and that's why I'm going to tell you that you are in worse shape than you think you are."

"What do you mean by that?" my dad asked.

"Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy."

"What's that?" Adina asked.

"Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy or HCM is a condition in which the heart muscle becomes abnormally thick. HCM makes it difficult for the heart to pump blood and it often goes undiagnosed" he said, "some signs are shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue and you guessed it...fainting."

"I'm still confused, what is that?" I asked.

"You had a heart attack Morgan" Adina cried.

"No, I didn't" I laughed, "What are you talking about Di?"

I looked over at Dr. Yuri and my smile immediately faded.

"What?! I had a what?!"

"When you first got here, we did an EKG, blood work and an Xray just to be sure that it was in fact HCM before delivering the bad news and it was. You were unconscious from the sedative that was given to you upon arrival but good thing your sister was with you because based off of the report that she gave me, you live a very unhealthy lifestyle."

I looked over at Adina cause why was she volunteering my information without my consent.

"Don't look at her, you're the one that's about to run yourself into the ground" my dad told me.

Adina began crying harder and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Daddy please get her out of here. Shes doing all that crying and I'm not even dead yet."

"Just give us a minute and she'll be ready to be discharged in a few" Dr. Yuri told my father.

My dad led Adina out of the room and closed the door behind them.

"You're an avid coffee drinker, you're smoking again, you have 12–13-hour workdays and you sometimes can go an entire day without sleeping. Stress is literally about to take you out and you're still in denial. I told you long ago that you can have all the money in the world, but your health is wealth and without it you won't have the ability to enjoy the fruits of your labor."

"What's the plan of action?" I asked.

"You've been my patient since you were a child so again, I'm going to always keep it as real with you as I can. Normally pacemakers, open heart surgery or medication that you'd take for the rest of your life is recommended but those are the options that we typically give our older patients."

"The medications can help but they can also cause long lasting effects or even fatal complications if taken for a long period of time. The best thing that you can do right now is relax and start taking your health seriously. Take a vacation, get your food from the farmers market and do light exercise for 30 minutes a day."