Chapter four

The shelters provided to the Volcanic people were humble yet effective, anchored securely to the ground or stones with ropes to withstand the Floating Mountains' winds. While simple, they offered sufficient protection. Within a short span, with the help of the Omatikaya, separate sleeping areas for men and women were established, along with a couple of mixed groups where few of the remaining families could stay together.

Naveah quietly observed her new home, taking note of the presence of technology that originated from the Sky People. Nearby, a section held a cargo of weapons, cases with shining screens, and various modules, big enough to fit tens of people inside. As she glanced towards the hovering mountains, she spotted the aircraft Neteyam had stopped her from destroying in the forest. Its arrival had been delayed because the built-in tracking system needed to be removed before flying it to the High Camp. Finally, it arrived and parked next to the other machines. As their loud propellers finally stopped, and their revving ceased, the mountains were embraced with the quiet whistling of the wind.

As the construction of their shelters was complete, the Volcanic people made their way to the heart of the camp, where the Omatikaya had gathered for tonight's dinner inside a large cavity. However, with no desire for any more prying eyes on her, Naveah decided not to join them. Instead, she gathered her few belongings and went the opposite way, carrying only the essentials she always kept close — a leather bag concealing small pouches of dried fruits, bone needles, a wooden comb, and small fragments of gemstones she had accumulated over time. Her cloak, embellished with intricate tribal ornaments, provided protection cascading down her shoulders and arms, while leaving her hands free to move with ease. Alongside these items, she carried a woven sack filled with various treasures — fibers, bones, and fangs she had gathered during the last days of travel, all destined to be transformed into something useful.

Naveah carefully secured the leather bag around her waist, hanging right above a belt of the throwing knives she held dear. Wrapping herself in the cloak, she made her way to the edge of the floating rock, searching for a perfect spot to spend the night.

There, a tangle of long roots connected to a boulder levitating high above the camp, offering a perfect ladder to her sanctuary for the night. With an effortless climb, she found a comfortable spot on the mossy foliage that covered the top of the stone. The moss radiated subtle warmth from the sun's lingering rays, a small comfort on this unfamiliar night.

Lying down, she spread her arms and gazed up, finding countless stars twinkling in the clear night sky. Such a sight was rare back home, where clouds often gathered around the peaks of the mountains that surrounded the volcano. But here, amidst the floating mountains, she had an unobstructed view of the vast universe above, and it filled her with a sense of awe and peace.

As she savored the moment, Naveah popped a few red dried fruits into her mouth, their taste both sweet and tangy. Despite her mind's attempts to pull her back into the memories of the terrible events she had witnessed in the past days, she buried that urge deep within herself with several deep breaths. Closing her eyes and listening to the gentle hum of the wind, she allowed herself to drift off to sleep.

Meanwhile, at the dinner gathering, the Omatikaya extended a generous feast to their new guests. Gathered around a crackling bonfire, they sat together, sharing insights about their former home, culture, and traditions. Despite their obvious exhaustion, the Volcano people appreciated the warm hospitality, their faces brightening with smiles and relief.

Neteyam, seated next to his siblings, glanced around the gathering, hoping to spot Naveah among the crowd, but she was nowhere to be found.

"She's not here, Neteyam," Kiri whispered to him softly.