Prologue: 3 Years Ago

Emma was struggling in her first year of high school and still hadn't made a single friend.

It's only been a week. I'll make some friends soon enough.

She had tried talking to a few other girls but as soon as they looked her in the eyes, they walked away.

She sighed, propping her chin on the palm of her hand.

Biology class was always her favorite so maybe this was the day she'd make a friend.

Emma sat down at her desk and looked around to look for her teacher, Mr. Michaels, but he was nowhere in the classroom.

She kept her eyes down on her notebook and flinched when she felt a hand on her shoulder shove her to the side. "Aren't you the freak with the different colored eyes?"

A boy's voice.

She bit the inside of her lip and kept her head down, not wanting to draw more attention.

"Yep, that's her" another voice said from the other side of her.

Now a girl was turning around in her chair to look at Emma. "Oh, my God. That's so weird" she snickered.

Emma felt her face start to heat up. Up until now, everyone had only avoided her and not said anything.

She realized that she preferred that over all this unwanted attention that the boy had started.

"What a freak" the boy said with a laugh, shoving her again.

Emma's eyes started to burn. "I-I'm not a freak" she muttered.

She winced when hands from behind her pushed her forward before the boy beside her gave a final shove to force her out of her seat.

Her emotions got the better of her and tears started to roll down her cheeks as she stared at the ground.

"What a crybaby!" a girl mocked.

"I'd be ashamed too with those eyes!" the boy said.

Emma covered her eyes and stood up, stumbling as she ran out of the classroom while the class laughed.

As she locked herself in the bathrooms, she stood in front of the mirror and stared at her reflection. She sobbed, staring at her glistening mismatched eyes and her dark hair strands that stuck to her damp cheeks.

She took out a pair of scissors from her backpack and pulled her hair forward before she started cutting and snipping until she had uneven bangs that shadowed her eyes.