17. I'm His Bodyguard

Kerry

I led Mira to a bank where I had a safe deposit box and asked her to wait while I got something outta of it. It didn't take long until I was back with a box wrapped in brown paper and tied with twine. As we started to walk down West 42nd Street, which would take us almost straight to Mammoth's, she glanced at the package.

I could almost see her vibrating with curiosity, but "What do I need to know about this place and your contact?" was all she asked.

"'S just a bar." I lifted one shoulder. "Guy we're gonna talk to is named Isaac Black, but he goes by Zick."

"What is he? Nephilim? Div? Human?"

"See if you can guess."

"Challenge accepted. What do I get if I do?"

"I dunno." I frowned. "What do you want?"

"Whenever we get to the Sanctuary, I'll need a sparring partner. I wanted to ask Rome, but he would hold back because he'd be afraid he might hurt me. Where's the fun in that? But you and I are similar in size and neither of us were trained in combat. We learned tooth and nail on our own. And, as a plus for me, you don't know how to hold back."

While we walked on, I thought about it. I didn't much like being touched by anyone other than Gemma, although I was getting used to Jax and Gigi. I could use a good sparring partner, though. Neither Jax nor John had any idea about hand-to-hand fighting, and Travis didn't have the right mindset for it. And while Gemma loved to spar with me, she wasn't up to my weight if I wanted to go hard.

I went back and forth with myself.

I would instinctively use my power.

No, we could use the high school's dojo or somewhere like it.

Yeah, but I didn't need my power to kill someone.

Listen, Boots is tough and good at thinking on her feet. And we could get a ref, someone who could stop me if I went too far. But not Rome. If I bloodied her nose, he'd throw me through the wall. Or try to.

I smirked at the idea of taking on Rome. Now that would be a good fight.

"Okay," I said at last. "I'll try it. If you can guess what Zick is."

"Deal." She nodded and seemed happy.

I held out the package from my safe deposit box.

"Zick may need more ... encouragement ... than cash or gold or diamonds to answer our questions. If so, offer him that."

"What is it?" She took the box, lifted it to her ear, and shook it.

"You won't hear anything." I wondered how she'd react when she found out what was inside. "Don't worry about what it is, but don't let anyone take it from you except me or Zick."

"Why? What would happen?"

I started to imagine what would happen.

"What's with the sudden silent treatment?" she demanded.

"Sorry. I was just adding up how many ways Zick would try to kill us."

#

The dark-haired man sitting alone at a back table arched one eyebrow.

"You brought your girlfriend to meet me?" Zick purred.

"I'm not his girlfriend." Mira tucked the package under one arm, put the other on her hip, and planted her feet in a wide, solid stance. As she spoke, her eyes roved over the place and assessed everyone in it. "I'm his bodyguard."