39. Creepy Little Monster

Mira

The knock at the door made me frown.

Gina had returned, taken Hank to the Box to finish interrogating Spider Legs, and come back to check on Lilas, who was still sleeping. Knowing Lilas would be upset when she learned what happened, Gina decided to go out and buy "a little something to cheer her up."

The knock came again, and I wondered if she'd forgotten the key. Since the boys were locked up in Rome's room for some reason and Gigi was checking on Lilas, I went ahead and opened it.

At first, I thought no one was there until I looked down and saw a little skeleton holding a battered blue suitcase.

"That's a mighty good Halloween costume, kid, but it's February."

"It's not a costume." I got the impression it was scowling at me. "Kerry Harker here?"

Squinting, I examined the little creature closer and, yeah, I was pretty sure it was telling the truth. That was no costume. Those were real bones, complete with pits and scuffs, that were held together by some white gel. From the dark recesses of the eye sockets shone purple pinpoints of light that I assumed it used to see. There was a gold bracelet rattling around one wrist, and the left arm was engraved with long lines of elegant symbols.

"You can stare at me all you want later." It sounded cranky. "But I need to see Kerry Harker."

I didn't know whether to let him in or not. I mean, I'd already gotten in trouble over the weeping reaper, so I made a play for time while I decided.

"What's that inscription?" I tilted my head to his left arm.

"None of your beeswax." He bent his arm behind his spine.

When did I start thinking of it as a him?

"I can read." Folding my arms, I gave him a quelling look, even though I was bluffing. I didn't know Angelic from Infernal.

"It's a Bible verse, okay? 'Against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.' There! Satisfied?" The skeleton would have been sneering at me if he'd had skin. "Now tell Kerry that Hinge needs to talk to him!"

I didn't get the sense that he was fibbing, and that was quite a long verse to make up or pull out of the blue. He'd recited it too easy, as if it were his mantra.

Well, I guess he's no demon if he has Scripture carved into his bones.

I pushed the door open and stepped aside.

"Tell him yourself."

#

Kerry

"Hinge?" My jaw dropped. "How did you find me?"

"You still got my knife, remember?" He drilled his big toe bone into the carpet and kept his head bent. "I made it, so I can track it."

"Where's Bit?"

"Bit's dead." He took a big breath, even though I knew he didn't need air. "I need help."

A couple of no-no words slipped out.

I don't wanna deal with this right now! It'll slow me down when I already don't have time!

"I didn't know who else to trust, Kerry." Hinge lifted his head and his little purple pupils blinked up at me.

Son of a whore. I'm stuck with him, ain't I?