XII

The next morning, [Name] woke up, she was still on the sofa where she had fallen asleep last night and to her surprise, Michael was there next to her.

He was still fast asleep.

She watched for a moment as his chest rose and fell slowly. His mask was still on, lopsided on his face from him moving around during the night. [Name] wondered if he kept it on because of her or if he simply never took it off.

After realising the situation she was in, she began to look around.

He was still asleep which gave her a good advantage and she even began to think about her chances if she were to try and escape but she decided against it.

If he woke up soon, before she had managed to get far she wouldn't stand a chance, and this time he might not be so forgiving.

She looked around the living room they appeared to be in. The walls were light in colour but the wallpaper peeled at the edges, adorned with a few cracks.

The house was clearly old, perhaps somewhere abandoned as she didn't think Michael would be able to own a house, after all who would sell a house to a murderer.

There wasn't many decorations in the house, just basic furniture, some that looked quite old as if it was on its last legs but some looked new. She quietly giggled at the thought of Michael going furniture shopping, cart full with flatpack tables and chairs and arms with blankets and pillows.

She hadn't noticed it herself but she felt far more comfortable with Michael already.

She began to look at the door to what looked like the hallway. From where she was sat she could see the front door.

It was tauntingly close, making her want to jump up and make a run for it.

[Name] knew that she couldn't risk it though, not after he had began to trust her. She knew that to escape she was going to need him to leave her alone in the house. Otherwise she wouldn't have enough time to get out safely.

After a little while she noticed that Michael was awake. He hadn't moved but he eyes were open, he was watching her quietly.

He got up quietly and left the room and after a few minutes she heard some loud noises coming from a room behind her. It sounded like pots clanging together.

A little while later Michael walked back into the room with a tray. On top was a plate filled with pancakes and fruit. The pancakes looked a little burnt and it was clear he was not used to making food but it made [Name] smile.

"Thank you," [Name] replied, trying to maintain a calm demeanor. She eyed the food, contemplating whether it was safe to eat. A mix of fear and curiosity danced in her eyes as she looked at Michael, wondering what his intentions were.

He sat across from her, watching with a certain intensity that made her uneasy. As she cautiously took a bite of the pancake, Michael seemed to relax, as if her acceptance of the breakfast pleased him.

As she nibbled on the pancake, Michael studied her reactions. A peculiar silence hung in the air, broken only by the distant sounds of the old house settling. The tension in the room slowly dissipated as she continued to eat.

Michael, still wearing his mask, finally spoke in a quiet and raspy voice. "I've never really cooked for someone before. Sorry if it's not great."

[Name] managed a small smile, sensing a vulnerability beneath the intimidating exterior. "It's actually not bad. Thanks for breakfast."

After breakfast, Michael surprised her by gesturing towards the window. "There's a garden out back. Would you like to see it?"

Curiosity mingled with caution, she nodded, and they ventured into the overgrown backyard. The garden, once vibrant and tended to, now bore the signs of neglect. Weeds had taken over, and the flowers struggled to reach the sunlight.

Still, beneath all the weeds and overgrowth small red flowers peeked through the leaves.

As [Name] observed him, a realization dawned that there was more to Michael than the sinister persona she had initially perceived. Beneath his cold exterior, there were fragments of a person who had lost touch with the world.

She looked back towards the garden and noticed that it was open, there were no fences around. The edges of the garden were lined with thin bushes but beyond that was just the open woods.

Although the bushes had so far kept hold of their leaves, the trees were almost bare, leaving the floor scattered with brown and orange leaves.

She felt as though she had lost track of time as she looked up at the sky and saw it was already beginning to get dark. Had they really been outside that long? Or maybe they had just woken up in the middle of the day. Without a clock it was hard to tell.

Eventually Micheal spoke up "let's go back inside now" and before [Name] had time to protest he lead her inside and back to the sofa.

"i will let you sleep here... don't try anything you know you would regret" He said quietly

She nodded and sat on the sofa again, pulling blankets and pillows near as she watched Michael pace the room.

Eventually he sat down in the arm chair in the corner. It wasn't fully clear where he was looking but she was sure he would be staring right at her.

Eventually she settled down amongst the blankets and closed her eyes. It was warm and comfortable and much nicer than where she had been staying before but for some reason she couldn't fall asleep, even when Michael quietly hit up and turned the light off.

She opened her eyes and watched as Michael sat back down, and too her surprise he began to take his mask off.

The moonlight illuminated his face, his pale skin which most likely hadn't seen the sun in a long time. His sharp jawline and rough stubble along it. Most noticeably was the large scar that Michael had on his face, running along the side of it and up to his eyes.

Even though he had changed so much and grown up, [Name] could still recognise the small boy she had grown up with.

It was strange finally seeing his face after so long at staring at the mask. She watched as Michael let out a sigh and leaned back in the chair, he clearly thought she was asleep now.

Eventually she felt sleep taking over and closed her eyes to rest.