Chapter 1 - 15

1Bai Fumei in the '70s 1

Chapter 1

Teardrops rolled down Zhao Lanxiang's cheeks and her eyes were red.

She held the thick, warm hand on the hospital bed and wept silently.

"Lanxiang, you are not small anymore, don't cry like a child."

The man lying on the bed tried hard to stretch out his hand to touch her head, but he could hardly draw any strength.

He is old. The old wounds that had piled-up on him over the years had hit him hard and quickly knocked him down. The ten years of prison life that he suffered when he was young gave him a sickly body. It is already a blessing to be able to keep it until now.

His hazy old eyes glanced affectionately at his wife again. Although she is just as old as he is, she is still so beautiful.

That gentle brows will be bent like crescent moons when she smiles, which he likes very much.

"Show me a smile?"

Zhao Lanxiang wiped away her tears and smiled reluctantly at her husband, who was lying on the bed.

He Songbai closed his eyes with satisfaction.

She covered her mouth, her crying was getting louder, and her tears couldn't stop.

Secretary He, who was next to her, took down his gold-wired glasses and reached into the man's nose.

He comforted the woman with difficulty, "Madam, please be at ease. The estate left by the chairman; the lawyer will discuss it with you in detail later."

Secretary He looked at the broken man on the bed with awe and regret.

This man's life was inspirational and bumpy. He was born in poverty. He went to prison at the age of nineteen and spent ten years in jail. After he was released, he worked hard for ten years and suddenly turned from a poor boy with no background to a business giant. He was a legend that fought a bunch of seasoned businessmen with no prior experience himself.

...

Two lines of tears suddenly dropped on Zhao Lanxiang's cheeks. Her mother, Feng Lian, wiped her red face, poked her forehead, and said, "Crying when you have a fever, so squeamish! If your dad sees you like this, you will have another scolding."

Zhao Lanxiang opened her eyes and stared at Feng Lian for a long time.

Feng Lian sighed and said, "Who is not married these days? The first time I met with your dad was when I was getting the marriage certificate. It was a blind date. Haven't the days been well?"

Zhao Lanxiang only thought that she was dreaming. She was immersed in the grief of losing her husband, and could not cope for a long time.

It's just that, if this is a dream, how can she be so confused... and dream about her young mother?

Seeing that her daughter ignored her, Feng Lian thought she was being stubborn and hated her. She poked her daughter's forehead again, hating the iron for not becoming steel and said,

"After all, it's not a small marriage. It's not easy to make your dad to decline... the other party's parents are your dad's boss!"

[T/N: "Hating the iron for not becoming steel" means blaming other people for not meeting their expectations.]

Zhao Lanxiang's forehead hurt. She finally faced her mother's chatters and quickly got up.

She noticed the calendar on the table said, April 16, 1976.