Chapter 8

I step out of the car and look out upon the calm graveyard. I'm dressed in all black. I head over to a large group of crying people and hang my head as the ceremony begins. I walk over to the coffin where Brianna is placed and tears begin to fall down my face. Her long blonde hair falls in waves over her shoulders. Suddenly, I feel a hand fall onto my shoulder. I turn around and meet eyes with Connor who has obviously been crying more than I have. I hug him for what seems like forever.

"Why does this always happen to me?" he says. I'm just about to question him, and then it hits me. Its just what Brianna had told me. His parents were killed and now he doesn't like getting too attached to things, only to have to let go later in life. I can't think of anything to say, so we finish the service in silence. As I'm walking to Brianna's car; or, my car now, Connor comes up behind me,

"We should go get coffee. Just to get our minds off of everything," he says. I would do anything to go to coffee with him, but now I have to go to court to settle this once and for all.

"I'm so sorry Connor. I'd love to, but I have to go to court as a witness of Brianna--" I stop mid sentence, knowing the thought will just bring up bad memories for him and for me,

"How about we get coffee tomorrow?" I say.

"Sure. Don't run out on me this time," he says.

"I won't, I promise," I say. I give him a final hug and head to court.

I walk into the large courtroom filled with hundreds of people. I find my seat and look around to see Tyler sitting in handcuffs at a table across the room from me. His eyes cross the room and meet mine. I try to look away, but our gaze is locked.He gives me a dispicable halfsmile,and i finally break his gaze and stare at my hands in my lap. The trial begins and after about an hour, I'm eventually called to the stands as a witness.

"Could you tell me exactly what happened?" asks a tall, suited man.

I again describe, in detail, everything that happened from the moment Tyler and I met. With each sentence, Tyler's glare deepens at me. I finish speaking and he shakes his head. The trial continues and the judge finally announces,

"Tyler Chase. You are declared guilty. And because you are also an escaped convict, you will be imprisoned for life."

The words 'escaped convict' run through my mind unendlessly. I went out with an escaped convict. I glance around the room, and see that Tyler has not yet breaken his gaze on me. His glare looks deadly, and I know he means bad by it. My stomach drops to my feet and try to ignore it until court finally ends. When it does, I think I am finally able to go home. I'm wrong. Instead, I am taken by a man in a black suit to a room.

"Kaitlin Reid. You're in danger. Tyler has escaped from prison before, and I'm sure he'll find a way to do it again. I'll try my hardest to keep you safe." He says.

His words hit me like a thousand bullets. I can not talk, and I can hardly breathe. I begin shaking and crying at the same time,

"Alright," I finally say.

The man pats me on the back and stands up.

"Ill keep you informed at all times. Don't worry. Just continue your life normally, and everything will be okay."

I nod slowly and turn around to exit the building.