Lake Of Tears

The moment the sky turned black, a huge panic surged in her heart. Ning Yuexi felt something was terribly wrong.

"Hiss! Hiss-"

A rustling sound of dry leaves on the ground being stepped on could be heard. From it, Ning Yuexi could basically imagine how fast the creature was and how close it was.

"Void sword!"

Ning Yuexi used her soul-bone skill multiple times. It was dark, so only the tragic hissing sound could distinguish whether she hit the target or not. But even though the creature was injured, it was not dead. There's only one meaning, it was regenerating too fast. After all 100,000 year old soul bone skill was very powerful.

Ning Yuexi felt powerless. She could only retreat and use the other skill of soul bone.

"Life steal!"

A purple black long chain with glowing shimmers quickly emerged and shot toward the creature that was following Ning Yuexi. One sharp end penetrated the creature and bound it with Ning Yuexi.

Ning Yuexi had never used this skill before. She felt a lot of life forces were injected into her body. The exhaustion and soul power recovered at a very fast pace. The small injuries and big injuries that she got fighting with this creature vanished. Ning Yuexi found the creature's body which looked a bit like a snake and lizard but very different from dragons, was filled with injuries.

"This soul bone skill is kind of against the sky!"

Ning Yuexi quickly made some moves to kill it. The moment it died, Ning Yuexi felt her soul skills improved. It was like the age of all the soul rings suddenly rose.

"Life steal has this function too. It's almost comparable to a god's skill. I don’t know where the system found this soul bone! Unfortunately, there haven’t been any soul bones above 10,000 after this." Ning Yuexi sighed.

Ning Yuexi followed the moon and after two hours, she got out of the forest.

What came into view was a lotus lake. But the lotuses in the lake were all a meter big. Giant lotuses blooming under the moon. Very beautiful.

Ning Yuexi looked at the surroundings. There was no one.

She took a few steps towards the lake. Moonlight clearly reflected on the tranquil water of the lake. There were no ripples. No wind. Ning Yuexi felt it was more like a fantasy. Nothing is real.

She was very scared when she was first transmigrated. But because she had the system, she wasn’t panicked. She came to think all of these were a dream and she would eventually wake up— to realize there was no going back. Every character here breathes, they have their ups and downs. They weren’t some book characters. Or maybe, She wasn’t her previous self. She was now one of them.

Ning Yuexi didn’t know why, suddenly everything became so illusionary and why was she thinking about these right now. However, she couldn’t stop herself from thinking. Everything that ever happened to her from the moment she opened her eyes. Everything. Every small detail.

A thunder strikes.

Who knows where the moon went? Hiding behind the dark clouds. No moonlight could pass through them. The pitch-black area again lightened up because of the thunder. There were no lotuses in the lake.

The sudden rain came with a chilling wind. Ning Yuexi came back to sense. It was drizzling. Raindrops gradually slid from her hair to her face. The lake wasn’t tranquil anymore. Ning Yuexi seemed to come to a conclusion.

She took a deep breath and dipped her ankle in the lake.

"Xixi!"

Xu Shaoyan came from the forest running and screaming her name. The moment another lightning struck, he finally saw her. Ning Yuexi's face was pale. She looked embarrassed in the rain. Xu Shaoyan wasn’t much better.

"Xixi, come here!"

But before his voice could reach Ning Yuexi's ears, she felt that she was being dragged into the water. The rushing sound of water was so close to her ears. The cold temperature of the water engulfed her, welcoming her.

She didn’t know if her eyes were open or not because the bottom of the lake was too dark and she lost consciousness.

Xu Shaoyan shouted her name multiple times, but there was no response. He had just come to this forest and the soul guide suddenly became dull. It didn’t show the way anymore. Xu Shaoyan panicked. He felt he lost contact with Ning Yuexi.

Something must have happened.

His pace gradually became rushed and he started running. But he didn’t know where to look for.

On the other side, the lake is restored to what Ning Yuexi saw before. It was filled with lotuses. Moonlight shines upon them.

"Sigh."

"The moonlight will always shine upon the most beautiful lotuses. They are the loved ones, the dearest, born in the lake of tears. They bloom under the care of the Moon God. They are born to offer the Moon God. No tears can redeem them with regrets in one's heart."

The chorus sounded. The lotuses kept shaking their petals. The moonlight was still so beautiful that one could not help looking up at it.

Only—

No one was here to witness the scene.

The author has something to say:

Dear readers! I am terribly sorry for this late update. But I was stuck on this chapter. I don’t know how to express this chapter perfectly. I had to rewrite this chapter two times before finally settling it. Hope you guys enjoyed it!