Slow poisoning

Kate's pov:

I woke up feeling warm and cosy. Rome's arms draped around me in a protective hold. I moved the hair out of my face, burning Rome's face in my head.

The slight curve of his lips, the arch of his brows, the stubble on his jaw with his moustache. The warmth that radiated off of his chest directly enveloping mine.

I traced a hand along his cheek, the urge to kiss him feral.

Being slow poisoned everyday makes us immune to it one day. Was it the same with love? Do miserable people like us get immuned to it too? And stop running away at every gentle carasse. Every tender touch.

As long as we're still getting our share, in fractions or fields it wouldn't matter.

My thoughts were interrupted with Rome pulling me closer to his chest, nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck.

"You're awake," I muttered more to myself.

"Good morning," he replied, his morning voice sending a shiver through my spine.

This man and my body's reaction to him infuriate me so much.

"It's been years since I slept so good." he murmured into my hair.

"I've had better." I retorted.

He chuckled, throatily and husky. A smile of my own creeping on my lips.

"Bet you wouldn't say the same about me bending you over last night." he replied.

Oh God, this man had no timing. I've never in my life ever spoken to anyone early fucking morning. And here he is saying things like this and me shamelessly anticipating it.

"Humble yourself Romeo," I said, rolling my eyes even though he couldn't see them.

He moved back, now facing me, our noses touching. His beautiful eyes sparkling under the sun piercing into mine.

"I wouldn't mind adding another O to my legal name, if you keep calling ke so lovingly." he grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him, but couldn't stop the smile growing on my lips, him grinning even wider at it.

"Quite the charmer aren't I," he said, gushing over himself.

I snorted, "Right, get off you self obsessed maniac."

"So, may I call you self m'lady," he replied, mimicking a British accent that could have the Queen rolling in her grave.

I gave in and laughed, my brain giving up.

Rome stared at me, like I was going to die any moment and he was engraving my memory into his brain.

"Okay I'm hungry now," I said, moving back and sitting up.

Rome looked at the white and golden wall clock, "It's breakfast time, we can go whenever you're ready."

"Will it be okay if I tiptoe back to my room without the maids looking at me?" I said, in a sheepish expression making Rome laugh.

"It's okay, we're engaged baby," he winked slyly.

I groaned and sprinted to his washroom. I got out once I looked presentable and took his absence as an opportunity to sneak out.

Tiptoeing was of no use because two of the plethora of maids to clean did infact see me.

Anyways, I showered and got ready cursing myself the entire time for wondering how it'd be if it were Rome's hands instead of mine.