Thirty eight

Mariah felt like she had only been asleep when she heard Kayla on the door, she groaned and turned on the bed, wishing she could ignore the knock but it kept coming. She covered her ear with her hand but it did not block the annoying sound. Groaning, she sat up on the bed, “come in!” she yelled, waiting for her to open the door.
Kayla had already sensed the anger in her voice when she allowed her inside and was wondering what she had done wrong, “good morning my lady,” she greeted as she pushed open the door.
“What is so good about the morning if you would not so as let me enjoy it?” Mariah asked angrily.
“I am sorry my lady, please pardon me but it is the time I usually help you dress up and do not forget, you would be escorted to the palace in due time.”
Mariah groaned and fell back on the bed, she was briefly reminded how Alador kept urging her to sleep, perhaps she should have listened to him and maybe now, she would not be feeling as tired as she was. But despite the regrets, she was still glad that she stayed up and spent so much time with him and also learnt whole new things about him and her. Thinking about his kisses last night, a smile graced her lips and she wasn’t having a bad morning anymore. She climbed out of the bed and let Kayla handle her but she ended up dozing off while having her morning bath.
“Goodness gracious my dear, I cannot believe you are asleep,” Lydia exclaimed seeing Mariah asleep in her bath.
She groaned and opened her eyes softly to glance at her mother with Kayla giggling softly behind her, she glared at her and she shut up immediately with her head bowed. “Mother, I did not know when you entered.”
“How would you know when you are asleep? Oh dear, do get dress, the guards and maidens are here already to escort you to the palace.”
Hearing that, Mariah’s countenance changed immediately and she stood up in the water, “yes mother,” she whispered as Kayla rushed to her with a cloth to dry her up.
***
The ride to the palace was the most boring journey Mariah had ever had to endure in her entire life, it wasn’t helping if she was constantly reminded by the handmaidens that she was the future queen and in less than a fortnight, her wedding would be held and in the next morning, her coronation, binding her to the king for the rest of her life.
When they were finally at the palace, Mariah didn’t know which one she wants best, either to go back to the road or stay in the palace where the king was constantly demanding her presence or following her around like a lost dog. She was being dragged around the humongous palace, telling her things she needs to do every morning she was awake and her how to speak to her subjects and must always listen to her royal advisers.
By the end of the day, she was seriously tired that all she could think about was to have a good bath and have a nice rest since she didn’t sleep well last night. But immediately she stepped into her chamber, she heard a knock on the door followed by five maidens, all that had come to dress her up for dinner and she had to endure another hour of undivided attention on her.
Finally dressed in a beautiful red gown, she was led out of her room to the dining room where the king and prince were waiting. They both stood up upon her arrival and even though she was taught to always grace them with a smile, she did not even look at their faces, neither did she smile. One of the servants drew out a chair for her near the king and opposite the prince. She sat down with her eyes on the table rather than on their faces.
“May I ask what troubles my beautiful bride so?” Lugar asked, staring at her affectionately.
“I am fine, your highness,” she replied without a glance at him.
“You look like something is bothering you,” she heard the prince ask opposite her.
“Not at all, my prince, I am perfectly fine.”
Lugar sighed, “if you say so my dear, but do bear in mind that if anything and I mean anything, is bothering you or that you are not comfortable with, do not hesitate to tell me and I would see to it right away. It is all I can do you to make you happy,” he placed his hand on top hers and Mariah didn’t know when she withdrew her hand out of reflex, realizing what she just did, she glanced at him then to see the surprise on his face.
“I am sorry, your majesty, I did not mean to do it. The truth is, I am deeply tired. It has been a long day and a good night rest would be deeply appreciated,” she rushed to say.
Lugar smiled, understanding her, “I know, with all those walking around and teachings, it would be immensely tiring since it’s your first time. It’s alright, I will try not to trouble you more so quickly have something to eat and retire to your bedchamber, we would have a talk in the morning.”
“Thank you so much, your majesty,” she bowed her head slightly at him and watched as the maiden filled a plate of food for her. She started eating after but food was the last thing she wanted so after eating enough that she was sure the king won’t bother her to eat more, she stood up and bid them goodnight and then the five maidens that had come with her, followed her back to her bedchamber to undress her and help her in her nightwear. After that, they bid her good night and left and she lay on the bed but sleep was not fast in coming as she was lost in thought thinking about Alador and what he might be doing.
***
Three nights later, Mariah entered her chamber with her handmaidens after dinner; the day had been tiring just like the first day and the one after, and yesterday. So she made the excuse again of being tired and was allowed to retire immediately after dinner. The maidens were going around the room preparing the bed and getting out her nightwear while she sat on the chair with her head resting on it and her eyes closed. Suddenly, she noticed that everywhere was quiet, she was hearing the footsteps of the maidens moving around before but now there was nothing, it was like she was alone. She opened her eyes and saw the maidens, they looked busy but she noticed something, none of them were moving, it was as they were frozen in time.
Fear started building up inside her as she glanced around the room but her heart stopped when she saw the two people standing by the window, they were the last people she expected to see in her room and she immediately stood up. Her eyes going from Bamushka to Ilayas, “what are you two doing here.”
“Wow, that is not a nice way for a human to welcome a god, not two mention two gods,” Ilayas noted with a  smile, “but that is okay, what do we expect when one of our own has given you the power to speak to us as you please.”
Mariah shut her eyes and heaved a sigh, the last thing she wants was to cause more troubles for Alador, so she blew out air through her mouth and opened her eyes, “I am sorry.”
“Hmph,” Bamushka rolled her eyes, “like we have not heard the reason you are apologizing.”
Mariah glanced at her sharply, “actually, I was apologizing to him and not you, you can do whatever you want for all I care and I shall talk to you as I so please.”
Bamushka was immediately vexed and she raised her hand, cursing, “you little…”
“Now, now, Bamushka, that is not the reason we are here,” Ilayas stopped her and turned to Mariah, “Mariah, we need to talk.”