Valentine's Night

Lia

"Yes," she nodded with a smile and tears in her eyes and the whole room erupted in cheers as he kissed her.

It was the night of Valentine's and as expected the city, the hospital and the people were covered in red and the environment was filled with love and proposals.

"Congratulations," I wished the nurse who had just been proposed to by her boyfriend.

"Thanks," she replied cheerfully as she shook my hand and turned to the others.

I walked away from there with a small smile on my face as I was genuinely happy for her.

"Dr. Lia?" someone called me from behind.

"Yes," I turned to see Pearl, a intern from the children's ward.

"I need a little help from you. You see I am almost at the end of my shift and I just had to take the readings for the hour in the children's ward in like thirty minutes but, I just got a call from home and I got to know that my mother has slipped in the bathroom," she winced.

"Oh no. Is she okay?" I gasped.

"Yeah, she is okay. It might be a small fracture but, my mother needs to be rushed to urgent care and she is alone so, I really need to go. Can you please take the readings instead? I mean if you are busy, I can -"

"No, it's fine. There isn't any rush in the emergency ward today. I'll do it for you," I assured her, "Just go and drive safe."

"Thanks a lot. I knew you wouldn't say no. I owe you," she smiled as she rushed back.

I went to the emergency room and kept my laptop in my bag. I have found a good time to finish off some of my studies today considering the lesser number of patients arriving in emergency care today.

Then, I went to the senior doctor and let her know that I'd be in the children's ward for the next couple of minutes taking the readings before I go for my break so that she can reach me just in case of emergency.

After that, I took the elevator and went to the children's ward.

"Hello," I smiled at the receptionist there.

"Hello. It's so nice to see you here after so long, Dr. Lia. What brings you here?" she smiled back.

"I am here to take the readings for this hour instead of Dr. Pearl. She had to rush back," I told her, picking up the pen from the stand.

"Oh yeah, I heard. That's kinda sad to know on such an amazing day," she said dreamily, making me laugh.

"So, how many roses have you got so far? Anyone I must know of?" I teased.

"Nope, no one special," she winked.

"Really?" I looked at her with a teasing suspicious smile.

"Yup, but I did get one gift from a secret admirer," she said leaning in.

My eyes shot up in surprise, "Secret admirer, huh? Nice."

"What about you?" she asked.

"Me? Nah! I don't do all this," I shook my head.

"Not you maybe, but someone else might, right? Someone whose name starts with a D?" she waggled her eyebrows at me.

I frowned at that. D? Drama Queen? How does she know him? And why would he gift me something on Valentine's Day? I am sure he knows I'd kick his balls if he'd even dream of trying such stunts.

"I don't know what you are talking about," I shook my head and laughed awkwardly.

"Come on, we all know that Dr. David's got the hots for you," she chuckled.