chapter eight.

excuse any mistakes.

𝐌𝐢𝐞𝐤𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐩𝐫𝐢 𝐃𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐧
𝙹𝙴𝚁𝚂𝙴𝚈 𝙲𝙸𝚃𝚈, 𝙽𝙹.

"And I'll never give myself to another the way I gave it to you, You don't even recognize the ways you hurt me, do you?" Humming the lyrics, Mieke entered the kitchen and retrieved Cupid's cat food from the cupboard. She poured it into his bowl, calling out, "Cupid come eat."

Cupid eagerly rushed to his bowl, hungrily devouring his meal. Mieke smiled at him while washing her hands at the sink. After closing the water and drying her hands, she headed to her room to grab her phone from the charger. Almost synchronously, as if sensing her presence by her phone, Malik texted her.

𝐌𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐤
𝐓𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲 6:56 PM

You ready?

A weird fluttering sensation stirred in Mieke's stomach as she read Malik's message. It wasn't excitement or even anticipation; it was this strange mix of nervousness and fear that she couldn't quite place. It felt like her stomach was tied up in knots, like a jumble of tangled wires, sending signals of unease throughout her body.

Her heart started beating a little faster, and a cold shiver ran down her spine.

Taking a deep breath, Mieke tried to steady herself. She closed her eyes briefly, attempting to push away the unsettling feelings brewing inside her. Placing her hand over her chest, she focused on regulating her breathing, counting each inhale and exhale in an effort to calm her racing heart.

"Girl It's just y'all working out, nothing more. You've been in similar situations before and everything turned out fine." She thought to herself, trying to dispel the fear within her.

After a few moments of focused breathing and positive self-talk, Mieke felt a gradual easing of the tension within her.

The knots in her stomach loosened slightly, and the rapid beating of her heart began to slow down. She could feel a sense of control returning as she reassured herself that nothing bad was going to happen to her.

She picked her phone back up to text Malik.

Yeah I'm ready

Alright I'm omw to yo door

Wiping the sweat from her hands onto her workout tights, Mieke swiftly picked up her keys and walked out of her room into the kitchen. She opened the fridge, snatched her bottle of water, and shut the door behind her.

"Bye Cupid." Mieke waved and Cupid glanced up from his bowl of water to look at her.

Chuckling softly, Mieke made her way to the door, unlocking it. As she stepped outside, she glanced up and noticed Malik emerging from his own door. Their eyes met, and a smile effortlessly spread across his face. She returned the smile before locking her apartment door, tucking her keys safely into her jacket.

"Wassup?" Malik greeted as he walked over.

He extended his arms, ready for a casual side hug. For a moment, Mieke hesitated, a subtle flicker of uncertainty crossing her face. Despite the brief pause, she eventually relaxed and reciprocated, allowing the side hug to unfold.