~Chapter 4~

The first ray of sunshine peaked through the kitchen window. It cast a golden glow across the room. Birds in the distance started to tweet, welcoming a new day. I rubbed away the tiredness from my eyes. Staring at the brightening sky, I smiled. I have always adored sunrises - they give me a sense of hope.

Standing up, I stretched. After my wounds had healed, and I was able to do physical activity again, I made sure to maintain my fitness. I started to do some warmup exercises to prepare my body for the day ahead. I wanted to get a morning run in before Renna and I headed off to the capital. I got changed, choosing to wear Renna's black hoodie and tight grey leggings. I put on some running shoes and quietly sneaked out of the cabin, making sure to carefully close the door behind me.

The air was both fresh and cold outside. Mentally planning my route, I started to lightly jog before building up into a sprint. I watched as browns and reds merged and whizzed past me. As I ran, I heard the sound of leaves covered in frost crunch below me. Tree branches also snapped occasionally under my weight. Running felt exhilarating.

As I continued to run, the sun rose higher. Sun beams penetrated the forest, creating patchy shadows. Little animals started to wake up. I saw a squirrel scurry away, fleeing from fright. Birds gathered on top of almost bare tree branches. The few maple leaves that did remain hanged on for dear life.

My nose started to run from the cold. My lungs cried out from pain. I could feel my hands and feet become numb. Despite this, I continued to run onwards. Without enduring pain and pushing ourselves beyond our limits, we cannot improve. It is through suffering that we grow into our best version of ourselves. I focused on moving one leg forward at a time as it started to get harder to maintain my pace. Before long I had covered almost 5km. I stopped by a tree and panted heavily. After I caught my breath I turned around and ran back to the cabin to wash up and get ready.

As I came out of the shower, I saw Renna lazily walk out of her bedroom. She yawned.

"Morning Kocho. You're up early again," remarked Renna.

I nodded back, "morning." We both walked into the kitchen and I sat on a stool by the kitchen counter. I looked at the clock and saw it was almost midday. It baffled me how Renna could sleep so long.

"When will we leave?" I asked Renna.

"After we eat something and I've had my coffee." Suddenly, as if remembering something, Renna said, "actually, Kocho why don't you help me? I did say I'd teach you how to cook."

I nodded and walked over to where Renna was. I then tilted my head as I waited for instructions.

"Hmm," Renna pondered. "Since we have a long journey ahead, why don't we make some porridge. We'll need milk and oats. You grab those Kocho, and I'll get the other necessary items for you." After I grabbed the relevant ingredients, Renna continued, "put 1/3rd of a cup of oats into the pan and then 1 ½ cups of milk. Next add a pinch of salt, turn on the heat and bring it all to a boil before simmering for 4-5 minutes. Remember to stir constantly to prevent the oats sticking to the side and burning."

"How to tell when it's boiling?" I asked. I made sure to keep stirring the oat and milk mixture. I could feel it start to thicken.

"When it starts to bubble silly. Look! It's started bubbling. Turn down the heat now!"

I saw the bubbles and made a mental note. I then turned down the heat. Renna, in the meantime, started to make her coffee. Not long after the porridge was ready. I turned off the heat. Then I got two bowls and poured the mixture evenly into each.

Renna patted my head, "well done! The consistency is looking good."

I meekly nodded my head. I felt very proud of myself. We both happily ate the porridge, cleaning our bowls. After finishing, Renna stood up and looked around.

"Kocho, wait for me in the hall and make sure to wrap up warm. I will do some last-minute packing."

I nodded. Walking over to the coat rack, I found a poofy red coat. Thinking it would complement well with my eyes, I put it on. I also chose some brown boots to keep my feet warm. Renna walked over carrying nothing and put on a black coat and a grey scarf. I stared at her. Didn't she say she would pack? Why was she holding nothing?

"Why are you looking at me like that Kocho?" Renna brushed some stray green hairs behind her ear. A silver ring glinted in the light. I suddenly remembered she had a ring that could store items. Blushing from embarrassment, I looked away.

"Ooh do I see Kocho blushing? Am I that cute hmm?" Renna teased. I blushed even harder. How did such a misunderstanding occur? Wanting to escape, I speedily exited the cabin and started to walk away in a random direction.

"You're walking in the wrong direction Kochooo," Renna chuckled. I could feel my face become as red as a tomato. I couldn't understand why I was acting so childish.

Not daring to look back at Renna, I asked, "which way then?"

"The capital is in the south, not further north ~"

I took a deep breath to calm down my racing heart. Once I felt the burning sensation on my face go away, I turned around. I nodded to Renna and walked back over. "Lead the way please," I said in defeat.

Renna laughed even harder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night-time quickly descended. Visibility began to drop along with the temperature. Only the dull moonlight from the crescent moon above kept the darkness at bay.

"Let's set up camp now," Renna said. Renna bent down and began clearing a large circular space. Then she tapped her ring and stones plopped onto the ground. Startled by the sound, I stepped back from fright. Realising it was just rocks, I quickly regained my composure.

"Kocho, can you line the rocks on the edge of the circle I created please? It's to help contain the fire so we don't casually start a wildfire."

I nodded and began to line each stone up. Renna threw some kindling into the circle.

"Step back Kocho," Renna instructed. Renna lit a match. The small flame illuminated Renna's facial features. Her cheeks were a rosy red from the cold. The fire's glow reflected in her green eyes, making them shine like emeralds. She threw the match at the kindling. The fire began to greedily eat away at the food provided. Renna tapped her ring again and maple twigs fell onto the ground. She started to slowly feed the twigs to the fire as it grew in size. Not long after, a decent size fire was burning. It provided us both with much needed warmth. I rubbed my hands together and turned my palms towards the fire.

"Hey Kocho, are you hungry?"

I nodded enthusiastically. Renna chuckled and magically produced two bowls of hot soup and some bread. She passed me my portion and sat down in front of the fire next to me.

Confused, I pointed at the soup and asked Renna, "Where did this come from?"

"From this silver ring. Anything stored in here isn't affected by time. In other words, hot food will stay hot and ice will not melt."

I nodded in understanding. I looked down at the soup only to realise in surprise it was chicken soup. It brought back memories when I first met Renna. That day she had also served me chicken soup. Recalling how well she had treated me; I made a vow to myself to repay her with my life for her kindness. Afterall, if she hadn't saved me, I would be dead by now.

Seeing that I hadn't touched my soup yet, Renna asked, "do you not like it?"

I shook my head in response and gobbled up the soup.

"Thank you for the meal." I handed the bowl back to her. "I'll keep watch tonight. Go get some rest Renna."

Renna looked at me in surprise, "you're speaking more words than normal. Are you feeling unwell?"

I gave her a death stare.

"Never mind. It seems you're perfectly fine," Renna smiled. "Alright I am off to bed. Good night Kocho."

"Good night Renna."

I watched the fire overnight, ensuring it did not burn out. I worried if it did, Renna would get hypothermia.