The Reaping

The early dawn morning of Reaping Day had arrived, cloaked in a wet haze that left District One covered in the sun's golden glow. The opulent city stood draped in decadence, all in preparation for the annual Reaping. One's Reaping square was adorned with glistening banners. Flowers of all colors and species draped the stage and the buildings of the city, making the air smell sweet. 

The stage stood beautiful and vibrant as the ballet dancers pranced around in a joyous and delicate dance. The marble statues of past victors, frozen in triumphant poses, overlooked the gathering crowd like silent sentinels. Sometimes, Lilac thought they worked harder than the peacekeepers. Crowds of children and mothers admired the statues as they waited patiently for the event to commence. 

The air was heavy, not with dread. No, never that... but with excitement. A familiar scent of extravagance crackled through the open space as the orchestra behind the ballet plucked their beautiful strings. 

Lilac Gold, stood with her academy friends as they watched the ballet, and prepared herself for her last year in the Reaping. She had no clue how many times her name was in the bowl, but it didn't matter. 

Her dress was a bright red, like fresh blood from a deep wound, that paired well with her fair skin. A braided crown rested atop her head, crowing her Victor before the Reaping even commenced, and the delicate smirk on her face was one of confidence and ruthlessness. 

A show, her mother said, the Capitol loves a show, so make yourself a living masterpiece. A walking spectacle. Everything has meaning, Lilac learned, and someone who shows up to the Reaping looking like they've lost already has. A notion that has been ingrained in her brain since age twelve. 

Lilac's little sister, Citrine, stood on her left giggling with her friend, Glitz, and her brothers, Apollo, Cash, and Royce were nowhere to be found, probably off making trouble with their friends, drawing on the statues or throwing flowers at cars on the streets. 

The slight throbbing on her finger from the DNA prick was the last thing on her mind as Jade, her best friend, started cracking jokes about what the arena would look like this year.

"Oh, oh! Maybe it'll be in District Twelve this year. Give them home court advantage." She scoffed, "Or maybe the remains of Thirteen, that would doom us all. Knowing the districts, they'd probably find an old nuke and kill us all."

Lilac huffed a breath at the girl, "If they send us to District Thirteen, I'll be sure to bring you back a nuke of your own, you pyro." 

"I adore you." 

The two began laughing at each other's antics, hardly noticing when the crowd went quiet. Only a jab in the back from Citrine saved them from total embarrassment.

Aurelia Glamore, the flamboyant escort to District One graced the reaping podium in an extravagant ensemble that rivaled the sparkle of the district's precious gems. Her hair was a cascade of vibrant hues, that matched the opulence of her attire. The deep shade of red on her lips was striking. The embodiment of the Capitol stood tall and confident on the stage, adding a surreal feeling to the glittering heart of luxury.

"Welcome, welcome, to the 69th annual Reaping. I'd like to show you a beautiful video that President Snow has graced us with." Her voice was airy and vibrant at the bubbling crowd. The orchestra began again, and the familiar video played on the big screen above them. 

"War. Terrible war." 

That was about all Jade could take as she turned back to Lilac and started whispering obscene things to her. It was all Lilac could do not to burst out laughing, especially as Citrine joined in from the left. The little girl's brown hair glinted a perfect shade of oak in the morning sun, and she was shameless at her obscenities even as Lilac chided the small twelve-year-old.