The Interviews

"Oh, wow. You look gorgeous, dear." Rosemary said, choking up, "Now... go make me proud!"

Lilac was fitted in that same, sweetheart red dress that she tried on yesterday. Somehow the cut seemed even lower on her chest than it was the night before, but she was so caught up in the preparation for the parade she only ignored it.

Her long blonde hair had been straightened and put in a tall ponytail, that fed through a Roman-style, golden helmet with a dove carving. The Avoxes put in extensions that same morning so, even through the helmet, her hair fell to the middle of her back. 

Along her arms, there was a cuff on either side. Doves were the centerpiece, and a flourish of whorls and flowers and smaller birds encircled it. They'd gotten her rings and a large necklace, with a ruby gem dangling from it. 

The makeup on her eyes was a kohl color and on her lips a red that matched the dress. They'd given her a false blush, that 'brings out the blue in her eyes' as Rosemary said. In all her years of life, Lilac was sure she'd never been so... heavy. The dress alone must've weighed twenty pounds, and the pure gold adorning her head, arms, and neck was no help. 

If their goal was to make her a spectacle they certainly did their job, but Lilac was considering that the focus on her image would only be a hinderance. She had more to offer than her beauty. The Capitol would never even consider her as a victor if she could hardly move in a dress.

Sterling stood tall next to her. He'd been polite all morning. Sweet even. His eyes were kind as he looked her up and down, and gave her a compliment that still rang in her head. You look absolutely stunning, Lilac. It was as if he'd never said those things that filled her with unease. It was as if he wouldn't be trying to kill her in a few days. Lilac only filled that false blush with a real one and took his arm.

"You're sweet, Rosemary, I adore this look."

"Oh, stop," Rosemary's own blush couldn't be seen through that heavy makeup she'd been wearing since Lilac met her. "The inspiration came to me the moment I saw you... Aphrodite!" 

Her hands lifted as she uttered the goddess's name, sweeping from in front of her face to the sides.

"Goddess of Beauty, Love, Sex!"

Lilac's eyes widened at the proclamation, ignoring the eyes that peered at them from across the chariot garage. She did a once over at the room, just hardly, and caught the eyes of a boy no older than her. Blue-green, like the ocean. 

She turned back to the woman, laughing slightly as she grabbed the woman's hands and lowered them in front of her.

"Wow... Um, thank you. I appreciate you thinking of me." She said if only to appease the stylist. 

In some sweep of mercy, Sterling swept over, "She looks perfect, Rosemary, you did great." The woman opened her mouth to say something else, but Sterling cut in again, "But we've got to board the chariot now. You should find a seat to watch us from."

He winked at her stylist as he locked arms with Lilac and dragged her away. Back in front of One's transport, she whispered a small, "Thank you," and at that same moment, Cashmere swept over, addressing them both. 

"OK guys, this will be your debut moment as partners and allies. You need the crowds to fall in love with you. Be charming, smile, look like you want to be there, and most of all... Convince President Snow."

Before they were to board, Lilac asked, "Are you sure this is the best idea? This dress is... beautiful, but ridiculous. They'll never see a victor when I look like this."