TWENTY-ONE

Freedom! 

Surprises was one thing that Lily hated the most (after her parents). She never liked the feeling of suspense, sitting on the edge of her seat, waiting for the surprise to be revealed, and they always end bad. I mean, look what happened to Enola and her mother. It was not something that Lily enjoyed.

But this surprise? It left her shocked. In the box, stood the tall boy that Lily has grown to love. His hair was messy, his clothes out of place, but that's what happens when you get shipped in a large box.

Lily immediately snapped out of her daze and jumped on the boy. "Tewkesbury! You're alive!" She squealed with joy as she wrapped her arms around his neck and held him tightly, like he'd disappeared if she let go of him.

It took the boy a second to respond, but when he relaxed he wrapped his arms around Lily's waist and pulled her closer to him. The girl muzzled her face in the crook of his neck, taking in his scent that she dearly missed. Tewkesbury smiled sweetly and rested his head on hers.

While the two were having their moment in each other's arms, Enola was standing behind them awkwardly, wondering when they'd stop. Turns out, they completely forgot Enola was in the room with them, so the brunette cleared her throat loudly, catching the two off guard. "Hello?"

"Oh! Yes!"

"Good Lord," Tewkesbury gasped as he let released Lily but kept a small grip on her waist while she turned out to face her best friend who was looking at her with a knowing look plastered on her face. Lily looked away, her face boiling red.

"Right." Tewkesbury sighed and gave a tight-lipped smile to Enola.

"How did you find us?" Enola asked the big question that everyone was wondering.

"Well, you said you didn't want to come to Miss Harrison's Finishing School for Young Ladies." The boy explained and re-adjusted his shirt collar.

"We've made him into a detective," Lily said with a wink at Enola. The brunette chuckled under her breath.

"So," the boy said and stepped out of the box abruptly, while poor Lily was using his body as support and leaned against him, she just as quickly lost her balance and slipped. "Oops." Was all he said, but reached out his hand for Lily to grab who was glaring at the boy. "Anyways—I thought we'd go out the same way I came in." Enola nodded, clearly impressed with Tewkesbury's idea. "I even wore my most porter-ish coat," he said and showed off the dark green coat to Lily who rolled her eyes jokingly at the boy.

"Of course you did,"

"That's an excellent idea!" Enola exclaimed. She turned to Lily who was already staring at Enola. "Who goes in the box?" The brunette asked with a raised eyebrow.

Both girls' eyes widened and quickly tapped their noise with their finger, yelling, "not it!"

The two stared at each other with unamused looks. "This is not going to work if you do the same thing as me, Lilith." Enola deadpanned.

"Well, then, you stop copying me!" She fussed and crossed her arms over her chest. The two girls looked at each other again, and without a second thought started playing "rock, paper, scissors".