Chapter 11: The Box

I knew what it was for right away.

"Honey, I remember a few days ago Yuki visited us and brought up one of those monsters. If you and your friends ever encounter a w, use this. Use something silver to take its heart out, put it in this box, and bury this box somewhere. This is the only way to kill it besides fire." My Mom said, bending down and picking up the box, then standing back upright.

"Fire? Kira has fire powers." I said. Mom nodded, handing me the box.

"She can help you if it comes to that. She's a nice girl. If it ever has to be done one day, taking down a wendigo can be a two person job. I could have died taking him down had I not outsmarted him. If you have to, take a wendigo down with a friend."

"Will do, Mom." I said, taking the box from her and looking it over in my hand. On the front was a pair of antlers engraved into the metal. A lock was in the middle of the box, but I opened it, noticing there was a key mold and a key inside that mold. I took the key out, thinking it would be good to save it for later. I'll set it on my desk in a spot where I can easily get to it in case if I ever need it.

I turned around to leave, but stopped when my Mom laid her hand on my shoulder.

"Oh, and Kori?"

I turned me head slightly to her, my Mom taking her hand off my shoulder.

"Is there a reason you and Yuki brought up these things?"

"Uh....we might've brought one into our lives..." I said, turning around now.

"What do you mean by that?" Mom asked, raising a brow and crossing her arms.

"We did something stupid a few days ago and it's coming for all of us or one of us now." I said, closing my eyes shut, thinking she would yell at me.

"What? What did you kids do?"

"We said its name once for each of us." I said, opening my eyes. First thing I saw was my Mom sitting down on her bed, her hands running through her hair and an exasperated sigh leaving her mouth.

"Kori, I love you guys, but that was a very stupid decision you guys made." She said, and I found myself shaking my head and chuckling at her response.

"Yeah, we know that now."

"Alright, Kori, go. You should get some sleep." Mom said, looking up at me with a grin and waving her hand to her doorway.

"'Night, Mom." I said, turning around and walking towards the door.

"Good night."

When I walked back to my room, I set the box down on my desk next to its key and picked up my phone from off my bed. I opened my contacts and pressed on Kira's name.

"How has Neon been lately? Last time we talked you said she hadn't been eating much lately." Was the text I sent her.

Setting my phone down on my bed, I walked towards my dresser and swapped out my gray t-shirt for a black one, then swapped out my gray sweatpants for black pajama pants. Once I heard my phone buzz, I walked back towards my bed and picked my phone up, looking at the text she sent me.

"She hasn't been doing too good. She's been losing weight even though she hasn't been doing anything different lately. I don't remember if I told you this, Kori, but now she can mimic voices. Whatever food she tastes lately still tastes bad to her."

As I read over her text, what she said about Neon mimicking voices stuck out to me.

"When was Neon able to mimic voices?"

"A few days ago at school. Sorry I didn't tell you. I forgot about it with how she's been behaving lately." Her response.

"Don't worry about it. Kira, do you think she might be turning into a w?"

"Yeah....I do, Kori. I'm worried about that."

"I have something that can help us out with that if she's actually turning into one." I sent my text. I'm sure she already knows about my Mom knowing about these monsters. Maybe not her story, but it wouldn't surprise me if Yuki or her own mother said something about that.

"Show me. I'm coming over tomorrow."

That was a bold text if you ask me, but I was fine with that. It wouldn't be the first time she's come over.

"You sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Alright. See you tomorrow then. Good night, Kira."

"'Night night, Kori. See ya."

After turning my light off, I set my phone down on my desk and placed my knee on my bed, then rolled onto the bed. 
********
All I remember seeing in my dream was Neon in front of me. A gray void surrounded us both.

"Neon, have you been okay lately?" I asked, walking towards her. I saw her take a step back. She looked reluctant to come any closer to me.

"Uh....yeah. I've been fine, Kori." She responded, staying where she was.

"Are you sure?" I asked, taking another step and extending a hand towards her, but once again got a response of her taking a step back, this time with her left hand gripping her right arm.

"Don't....don't come any closer, Kori." She said.

"Why not?"

"I...I like you, and I don't....don't want to hurt you."

"Hurt me how?"

"I don't want to do anything bad to you." Neon responded, her voice softening as she took another step back.

"You wouldn't hurt me, Neon."

"How can you be so sure?" She asked, turning her head to the ground.

"It's not like you to hurt people for no reason. You always have a reason for it, physically or not." I said, still trying to get closer to her.

And this time she didn't back up.

"Isn't that the same with everyone? But what if I can't control it?"

"Control what?"

"Sometimes we can't control ourselves from doing something, Kori." Neon said. I finally stood in front of her, reaching out, my hand brushing her cheek.

"I get that, but other times we can control ourselves, Neon. I like you too, Neon." I said, smiling as my hand made its way onto her head.

"Kori...I'm sorry we won't get to be anything."

"Won't get to be?"

As that moment, Neon looked down, taking my hand off her head. As she did so all the sounds around me grew louder and louder until I found myself awake in my bed. I heard the door ring downstairs. Must be Kira.

I nearly jumped out of bed and ran to the door. I opened it up, and sure enough there she was standing outside.

"You look like you just woke up, man."

"I did."

"Oh."

I led her inside and we walked to my room together. I closed the door behind me and walked to the front of my desk, but made sure to block the box from her view.

Picking up the box in my hands, I turned around, showing her now.

"Kira, this is what I wanted to show you."

End chapter