20 || Rainy Days

Good Days - SZA

𓆩𓆪
Evie

Can you start next week?" The middle aged woman who sits in front of me asks.

I nod at her, eager to feel this interview coming to a close, and even more excited knowing I was able to secure myself a source of income for the coming months.

The most expensive months of many peoples' lives.

You have Thanksgiving, then Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day if that applies to you, and some even have their birthdays mixed in with that.

It screams money.

Money I don't have and expenses I can't afford at the moment.

But as I walk out the woman's office I can officially say that's changed. Feeling at ease knowing I can at least attempt to look at ticket prices and not cry at the big number on the screen.

I didn't realize how many emotions buying a plane ticket could evoke out of me. Sadness definitely wasn't one I was expecting.

But when I appear out of the back room, sadness isn't one of the many emotions painting the girl's face as she waits for me. "So...?"

Jane's expression is cautious, even more so when I keep my lips shut for a long moment. Though, the second I feel my lips curl her eyes brighten and she's like a ball of energy. Very happy energy.

"Oh thank god!" She beams and wraps me up in a hug, something I wasn't expecting but reciprocate nonetheless. "You had me worried there."

"I wanted you to endure the suspense." I joke and pull away.

Jane tries to give me an annoyed look but it's overshadowed by the smile forcing its way onto her face. From the few encounters I've had with her, I can tell she doesn't have a bad bone in her body.

She might be the true definition of a "bundle of joy."

"I'm just glad I finally have someone to split a schedule with." she tells me as we stroll to the exit. "The other two never want to cover me, ever."

The statement is delivered with minor distress, telling me whoever else works here clearly doesn't like extra hours.

"You'd be willing to cover me, right?" Jane asks me with caution.

"Yes Jane, I'd be happy to cover you if I have the time." I watch the smile on her face brighten, and I look out the windows to see rain hitting the pathways outside.

Shit.

Just my fucking luck that I have to walk home in the rain.

"I'll be on the schedule starting next week if you want a cover on Saturday." I mention, remembering that she's a huge fan of football and we have another game that day.

"You're a godsend, did you know that?"

I shrug at her sarcastically, pulling the neckline of my sweater up to cover more of my shoulders, trying to make up for the hood I don't have. "Didn't know until now."

She reciprocates a small laugh to my comment and I say goodbye before walking out into the wind and rain.

It hits me in the face like a wake up call. Harsh, cold, and unforgiving, the weather really wasn't fit for walking. Yet, here I was, walking home because I again don't have the money for an uber.

It's really an embarrassing cycle, spending all my money on an app just so I can get places. It's clearly not good for my health because lately I can feel my head pounding, getting stuck in the rain every time I've had to walk home.