Chapter 6 - "Taz and Chase"

--- Taz & Chase

Taz and Chase were in a military camp near the city, along with other children that were there for the same reason.
Most were filled with determination, since if they didn't perform the orphanages they were taken from would receive less support, which meant worse lives for those they left behind.

It was magnitudes more stressful than what Ria was going through.
They were given minimum rations and uncomfortable rest areas.

When they wake up they are made to train physically and mentally, the only upside being that Instructor Lyel was surprisingly less commanding as Ria's teacher for magic, unless he had to be.
He was clad in thin leather armor with a blue coat over it, wearing an engraved ring.

They were made as fit as possible within the span of a few days, before the combat training began.
Taz and Chase had the most ambition and talent, both having high affinity for combat, Taz also having slightly higher than average Mana, though not enough to be a mage.

"If you all keep this up you'll definitely be able to beat anyone without magic, but this is reality, you are going to have to fight magic users whether you can do the same or not! Life is not fair, this is just a fact that you must overcome with skill!" Lyel said, pacing back and forth in front of the future soldiers of the kingdom.

"But how are we supposed to fight against magic?" A timid member of the group asks.

"Most people have at least some magic potential, the widely accepted spells for efficient defense against most attacks are <Shield> and <Block>. <Shield> is an all-purpose bubble of protection that can be maintained, while <Block> is an efficient and temporary defense almost anyone can deploy if they can time it right." The instructor explains.

Many of the recruits had more than enough Mana to hold out for minutes of constant battle, but Chase was below average in the magic department.
Instead of constantly blocking and countering with spells, he could only rely on attempting to distract the opponent and dodging the magic.

The camps main goal was not to teach them every technique under the sun, there would be no use teaching such advanced combat to young soldiers that were likely to make no impact in war.
They were created to be quick and effective to produce, not to be strong.

While Chase was weak with magic, he was exceptional at the sword, and could substitute his lacking magic defense with reflexes and quick thinking.

Taz was more on the path of becoming a magic swordsman, albeit a weak one.
True magic swordsmen were simply mages that chose to pick up the sword after learning magic.

Lyel was not blind, and quickly noticed their talent.
"Both of you have great potential, keep up what you're doing, if you do well in the Blooming Talent Tournament you can make a name for yourself and guarantee your family back home more benefits." He praised.

There was no rest for them, they were ordered to spar with the wooden weapons until their strength ran out.

"This is part of the training as well, to strengthen willpower and determination. Your unwavering will is the only thing that gives you an edge over a mage, you can't let that advantage go to waste!" Lyel inspired, sending them off to get ready for the same activity tomorrow, knowing the tournament was set to take place in a week.

Taz and Chase were determined to bring recognition to Kale's orphanage, no matter what.
"Let's win that tournament!" Chase inspires.

"And when we win, let's go hunt that dragon that dared to invade our home! We'll make our village famous!" Taz suggests obliviously.

"Yeah!" They both cheer merrily.