24. Socializing Toru

Tonuk's perspective:

Now at the shelter, he got Tegnuk to agree to meet up with Toru, even after warning him of the very small risks.

They went back to Toru's room, which had been cleaned up and finally had the weights removed.

They all sat down and slowly, got Tegnuk to come closer to Toru to see how it reacted, though it didn't seem to mind him for the most part, only moving away until he was very close.

Ri wanted to hold Toru closer to see if that helped it feel more comfortable with Tegnuk, but it didn't work, instead seemingly making Toru uncomfortable once again.

They decided to wait for a bit for Toru to get more accustomed at seeing Tegnuk, chatting in the meantime while waiting.

They had quite a bit of time to spare, since the Turos are ussually fairly independent, and either way, the new volunteer, Tegnuk's friend, was there to help out.

Eventually, they decided to try seeing how it would react to meeting a Turo properly, since they had only barely seen eachother once, maybe twice.

They went into the sleeping/private area for Turos as Tegnuk went for a Turo, then settling it down and distracting it with some pets.

They sat Toru down as well and watched as it stared at the Toru and Tegnuk for a bit before crossing its arms, leaning back on Tonuk and talking in an even more gravely voice.

This was exciting, since they explained to Tegnuk that they thiught it could be as a way to show feeling safe or happy.

Plus, it was leaning back and sitting cross legged, which made it hard to escape if needed, so, it showed that it felt safe once again.

They decided to continue making idle chat while waiting for the two creatures to get used to eachother, although they noticed that Toru stopped talking, which was weird, but at least it stayed in the same position.

Tonuk was doing most of the talking, sharing all that they had found out about Toru, except of course the possible evidence of a third sentient species.

Tegnuk was fairly curious and mentioned something interesting, that since he was studying animal behavior, maybe he could help out with researching Toru.

They accepted the help and as Tonuk was about to start sending the recordings they had of Toru, it suddenly pushed off Tonuk's hand.

He was a bit confused, but Toru still seemed relaxed so he wasn't worried.

Tegnuk followed suit, letting go of the Turo, which approached Toru, who wanted to get away.

They were about to grab hild of the Turo, until Tegnuk noticed that Toru was actually making some facial expressions that usually showed happiness.

They were still fairly alert just in case, but eventually realized that the two were just playing around, though eventually Toru got the upper hand and managed to get on top of the bed shelf to keep the Turo away.

Feeling defeated, it finally left Toru win, making some whimpers in protest, so, with the game finally being over, they decided to get the two to meet properly finally.

Tonuk lightly carried down Toru while jokingly scolding it for not playing nicely.

The Turo started smelling Toru before it could get down, to meet it, but Toru started squirming around quite a lot and made a funny looking face in response.

As Toru reached the floor finally, it quickly got back on top of a drawer, clearly not happy about the experience, which confused everyone.

It especially confused Ri, who explained that ussually, creatures that have different smells for each emotions use scent to greet eachother, so it was odd how Toru reacted.