Chapter 8

"Okay class! Listen up!" Mrs. Bodér yells over the noise of the room. It's Friday, three days since Noah and I kissed. The awkwardness has started to fade, and I've let go of any expectations of him addressing the kiss.
"I'm feeling generous today, so I'm giving you the whole period to work with your partner on the project. Because I trust everyone here, I'm allowing you to spread across the school to work on it. The hallways, the courtyard, the library, doesn't matter to me, as long as you are back in this classroom five minutes before the bell rings!" Mrs. Bodér tells us, as everyone starts to get out of their chairs. "And please, don't be disruptive!"
Noah and I leave the classroom, holding our papers and laptops. We walk through the halls, trying to find a nice space to sit and work.
"How 'bout here?" I say, looking at him for approval. It's a fairly useless hallway, with no classrooms in it, only windows looking out to the manicured lawn and the sign that reads WELCOME TO ROBERT CANMORE HIGH SCHOOL!
"Seems good enough," Noah says, sitting down next to the door labeled JANITOR'S CLOSET.
We work for about 20 minutes, managing to get a good amount of the project done. We pause, and Noah looks over at me. He looks like he's going to say something, but decides not to. I know I said I'd let go of my expectations, but I'm taking this opportunity now that it's presented itself.
"Listen, Noah, about Tuesday...I've been waiting for you to bring up what happened, but you still haven't said anything, and I just can't wait anymore. I kissed you, and I do not regret it. I'm sorry if this ruins our friendship, or whatever this partnership even is, but-" I say, rambling on, before Noah cuts me off.
"Beck," he says. "I wanted to kiss you then. And I want to kiss you now. Can I?"
I nod my head yes as he leans in closer, but I stop him.
"What if someone sees us? We're at school."
"Don't worry," he says slyly. "I know where no one can see us."
He gets up and looks at the slightly ajar door to the janitor's closet with a cheeky smile, flashing me those irresistible dimples. I follow him into the small space, my heart beating faster. With my back to the wall, he presses his lips to mine. I can feel his hands on my body, and as my hands move across his, I take in every muscle, every immaculate spot of skin. Our bodies, our mouths, moving as one. At this moment, time is irrelevant. A minute could pass, or a lifetime, and it wouldn't have mattered. The only thing that matters is this moment. This moment full of passion, full of longing, and full of him. He is the only thing that matters at this moment. With each kiss, we share a thousand words, and with each touch, we share a thousand glances. Suddenly, we hear a buzzing sound, and we pull away from each other.
"Crap, that's my watch timer. We have to get back to Mrs. Bodér's class!" I tell him as we exit the janitor's closet. We grab our stuff and run through the corridors. I lace my fingers through his, and we keep running, desperate to make it in time. We slide through the doorway to Mrs. Bodér's room just in time, and as we walk to our desks, Noah keeps his hand in mine.
~~~~
"Who's putting that smile on your face?" my dad asks as I look at my texts.
We're in the dining room, and he, my mom, Leah, and I are eating dinner. Noah has been texting me non-stop since school ended, but I can't resist his texts.

	"Is it a boy?" my mom asks, clearly excited at the prospect of romance for me

"You've been watching too many dating shows," I tell her. "But, yes, it is a boy."
"Wait, who?" Leah asks, her interest piqued.
"Noah Ackerman. We kinda kissed. Twice."
"Noah, your archenemy Noah?" my mom asks.
"Well, not really anymore. I've just gotten to know him better."
"That's good! But make sure he has integrity, because when you beat him in the election, you wanna know he's not gonna be mad," she says, with a chuckle. "Thank God your father's not intimidated by a strong woman, or else we never would've had you two!"
My dad laughs, and everyone resumes eating. I text Noah one more time.