Chapter 4

Barbara

I parked the car in the driveway of my home, next to Eleanor's car. The metal gate closed behind me, and I let out a heavy breath.

Like chunks of armor chipping down, my shoulders relaxed as I made my way to the door. My lungs pushed the air out in a heavy whoosh when I cleared the front steps and fished the keys out of my purse.

Opening the door of the beach house I called home for the past six years, I was greeted with the sound of eleven paws and one pair of footsteps.

The first to appear in the entrance hall was a giant, one eyed mutt with a mottled white and gray coat. An English Mastiff and Great Dane mix, Pirate looked intimidating with his big stature and scarred face.

"Hey, big guy," I said, rubbing the dog's head and neck as it bumped against me. Meowing alerted me to the presence of my two other babies.

Although at seven and ten years old, Pie and Pepper were no longer babies. Pie ambled forward on three paws to rub against my leg, while Pepper watched from the distance like the sophisticated lady that she was.

I picked up Pie and went inside. The earthy tones of the living room chased away the last vestiges of wariness.

The beige sectional sofa filled half the living room, covered with mustard-colored and forest green blankets and pillows. The cats' tree stood next to the glass backdoor, overlooking the beach and ocean beyond it. Pirate's gray bed was right next to the dark fireplace. I guess I should light it up tonight. I needed the warmth.

"Eleanor?" I called. The blonde head peeked from the kitchen. She grinned and came out.

"You're early," she said. "I already took Pirate on his walk and gave them food. How was your day?"

"Good," I replied, rubbing the tabby cat's neck. Pie purred.

Eleanor disappeared into the kitchen again. I followed inside. The smell of cinnamon and sugar filled the place.

"I noticed you ran out of cinnamon rolls, so I made some," Eleanor said, untying her apron and hanging it near the oven. She limped to one of the island chairs and sat down.

"Thank you. You didn't have to," I told her, taking a seat next to her.

"You don't have to pay me to babysit these babies, but you're doing it anyway," Eleanor said. "If I want to make you some cinnamon rolls, then I will."

I nodded and let go of Pie when she squirmed. She jumped down and joined the two other pets devouring their food.

"Did something happen?" Eleanor asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Why?"

"Because you're being quiet," Eleanor said, then added with a grin. "Quieter than usual."

Eleanor and I had known each other for more than two decades. Since that night seventeen years ago when it all ended, I swore I'd take care of Eleanor until my last breath.

Younger by five years, Eleanor right now was a far cry from the skin and bones girl she'd been. At five six, she was taller than me. She was also far more cheerful. Eleanor was not just my friend, she was my sister, unrelated by blood but bound by a cruel history.

I told Eleanor about Ryan Davies' visit. She already knew about the blind date. By the time I finished, the pets had finished eating. Pirate was laying on the floor by our feet, Pepper and Pie nowhere to be seen.

Eleanor gaped. "What the hell? And you said yes?"

I nodded. "Max has been calling and dropping by almost every day since the date."