Chapter 20

Ryan

It was almost midnight when I parked in Barbara's estate. The house was wrapped in a dozen ropes of string lights, a beautiful starry jewel among the dark trees.

The sound of the waves reached me when I stepped out of the car. Her house looked over the beach, but was cocooned in its own small forest. It was such an amazing place to live, so open and pure. Jeremy would love it here. I wished I could see it in the light of the day.

"Thank you," she said, tucking her hands in her pockets. "I had fun. Your mother is not the monster you painted her as."

I sputtered, "did I give that impression?"

Her smile was dazzling under the strong lights around. "Kind of."

"My mother is..." I sighed. "She and my father had been absent during most of my childhood and teenage years. My grandparents basically raised me. But I know she regrets it a lot now. So she tries her best to be present in my life, and she's very good to Jeremy."

"She must adore him."

"She does, and he loves her as well," I said. "She's strong headed and too curious for her own good. But she's a good person beneath it all."

"Strong-headed and too curious?" Barbara said, looking at me pointedly.

I grinned. "Point there. She is my mother. I guess that's why she and I butt heads all the time."

And she liked Barbara. My mother tolerated people, she rarely liked anyone though.

But when we were telling her goodbye earlier, she'd whispered in my ear, "do keep her around, darling. She has a good head on her shoulders and more class than your ex-wife and all your ex-girlfriends combined."

I had only given her a look, hoping my amusement didn't show.

Now, Barbara glanced at her house. "Do you- Um- want to come in?" she asked, unsure.

"Maybe later," I said. "You need to have a talk with your sister."

She nodded and sighed. "I do."

"But I mean it. I do want to see your house by day," I said. "I think Jeremy will love it here."

"He would, wouldn't he?" she smiled. "He's welcome to come anytime."

"What about me?"

"You too." She gave me a baby grin that did weird things to my insides.

The front door opened and Eleanor's blonde head peeked out. "If you're not going to kiss goodnight come in already!"

I laughed. Barbara looked at her sister with wide eyes that promised retribution. Eleanor ducked inside and closed the door.

I couldn't resist. I brushed the back of my finger across Barbara's cheek. It was warm despite the cold. "I guess you should go in."

She sniffed, shaking her head at her sister. "Yes. Thank you for tonight. I had fun."

She smiled. Oh, to hell with it.

Before she moved a step, I leaned down and pressed a kiss to her cheek. She froze, her eyes on me. I grinned. "We can't disappoint, Eleanor, now can we?"

She opened her mouth, then closed it. My grin widened. "Cat got your tongue, Miss Owens?"

She gave me a slow blink. "Ryan?"

"Yes?"

"Shut up."

I laughed as she walked away. "Good night, Barbara!"