Chapter Seven: Memories of Old

The 7th of Yaesoot, 1428

Jane

The closer we got to the camp, we could hear a commotion going on. We quickened our pace back toward the camp and found Doc kneeling on the ground examining something, his facial expression was solemn and concerned. 

"What is it?" Daniel asked.

"Did you figure out the problem with the map?" I asked.

Doc stood and turned to us. "We've got bigger problems than being lost." He pointed to the ground. I looked at the spot and saw multiple prints of a paw in the ground. "Coyotes, lots of them by the looks of it," Doc said.

"How old are the tracks?" I asked.

"Maybe a few hours, I'm not sure," Doc replied.

"So not only are we lost, but we're in danger of getting attacked by coyotes," Jack said.

"We're not lost. If we keep following the trail it will take us somewhere," Doc said.

"Then what are we doing just standing around here for, let's keep moving," Nate said.

Doc shook his head. "It's too dark, if we leave now it'll end up making things worse. We should stay where we are and head out in the morning," he said. 

Everyone reluctantly agreed and began settling into the camp. Soon the darkness overtook the last bit of light, and everyone sat around the fire drifting off to sleep. I stared at the map, still trying to figure out where we were. Somewhere we made a turn we weren't supposed to and now we were lost and possibly surrounded by coyotes. 

"Looking at the map isn't going to change our situation," Doc said, a pipe in his hand.

I glanced at him then turned back to the map. "I was just wondering how we ended up lost. I've been through this forest before, and I've made it through just fine," I said.

Doc took a twig from the fire and began lighting his pipe. "Did you come this way from Clairwood to Ekron?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yes, we traveled straight through without much difficulty," I said.

"Perhaps the path is different coming this way," he said.

"Will taking the path we're on lead us to Clairwood?" I asked.

He tilted his head slightly. "I'm most certain it will take us out of the forest. Although it may be a day longer."

"Daniel said you would be able to find a solution to our problem," I said.

"Did he." He glanced over at Daniel. Daniel was leaning against a tree and had fallen asleep. "That boy puts too much faith in me, but he's right," he chuckled.

"How did you all end up together, thieving and living on the run?" I asked.

Doc stared at the pipe in his hand. "I took Daniel in after his mother died, and I've been treating Jack's condition for a while. Nate is his stepbrother, so wherever Jack goes, he goes," he sighed. "Since then, they've robbed a few places and we've been on the run ever since."

"You're the only one who doesn't have a bounty, why is that?" I knew my questions were probably annoying, but I was curious about the strangers who were accompanying me.

"I have been extra careful not to end up that way. When it comes to breaking the law, I leave it to the boys," he said.

"So you refuse to break the law," I said.

Doc was silent for a moment, he stared into the fire and seemed to be in deep thought. "I respect the law, but I also know the limits on what is right and what is wrong, if the law surpasses that, then I wouldn't mind breaking the law." He blew a puff of smoke from his pipe. "It's a pity some people don't know the difference."

I could tell he didn't want to elaborate any more on the subject. I decided it would be best if I caught a little sleep, so I laid down and slowly drifted off, listening to the sounds of the forest. Only once was I awakened by a noise. I looked around, but I didn't see anything, just an owl on a tree branch watching the night.

~*****~

Daniel

My heart was racing when I woke up. The nightmares that have been plaguing me for seven years had only grown more gruesome and disturbing. I knew that the conversation I had earlier with Jane had reignited moments in the dream that had previously disappeared over time. I suppose I will always be burdened with these horrific memories. It was dark in the forest and the fire was dying. I left my spot and tried to stoke the flames. Doc, who had assured us he would keep watch, had fallen asleep. It didn't matter much now that I was awake. I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep anymore. Why didn't I listen to her? No matter how I tried to convert my thoughts from the dream, I couldn't help but play the scenario over and over again in my head, questioning what I could have done differently or how I could have...

No...for the sake of my sanity, I couldn't dwell on "What ifs," and "If onlys." The past is very much unchangeable and set in stone. The only thing I could change was to keep it from happening again. I'll be damned should another loved one perish in my arms.

I watched the flames and tried to listen for unusual sounds in the forest. I wasn't a stranger to staying awake late at night and watching out for animals. There had been a few times when our horse paddock needed repair leaving our horses vulnerable to predators. A couple of times the predators were human scum who would try to kill them for fun. When I was younger, I hated being just a mere horse caretaker. I yearned to follow in my father's footsteps and join the guard, but such plans were ruined the moment a peer of mine got me drunk and convinced me to join them in vandalizing the town. After my mother had to pay my way out of jail, I knew I had failed them both. Dwelling on such things made forgetting the nightmares even harder. Perhaps one day things will be different; however, right now, I don't care for memories of my home.

~*****~

Peter

I was forced to stop on the trail and give Duke a break. After my time in the river, I no longer felt drowsy. Duke, on the other hand, was drained from our day-long trip and fighting the river. I made a small fire and tried to dry the inside of my boots. My clothes dried in the sun, but my boots and socks were still soaked from the river. It was maybe a half-day trip to town at most. Tomorrow I would be in Clairwood and find Madame Alisandra. I would have to ask around town if anyone knew where she would be. Hopefully, someone had the answer. 

My stomach growled, interrupting my thoughts. I didn't have any rations left and I wasn't exactly skilled at hunting animals. One thing I learned while living with the Shewaki was that great meals were abundant, and everyone was well-fed. I should have listened to Amayeta's advice and left Viho alone. If I hadn't tried to interfere then maybe I would still be in the Shewaki lands. Shikiri most likely would have suffered the same fate eventually, but at least I wouldn't have been involved. 

I suddenly remembered that Amayeta had given me something before I left. I hadn't looked at it yet and maybe it had food in it. I pulled the drawstring pouch out of my saddle bag and opened it. It held two pieces of seared bread and a small honey cake wrapped in a handkerchief. I ripped off a piece of the seared bread and tried to eat it slowly. I made myself put the rest of the food away to not devour it all in one sitting. I continued searching the bag. In the bottom was a smaller pouch that contained twenty silver coins and a lock of dark blood-red hair. I smiled at the strands and placed them in the cover of my compass. Now every time I opened my compass, I would be reminded of the reason behind my journeying, my sorrow, and my pain. I never was one for sentiment, but Amayeta managed to change a lot of things in me. She was the first to pierce this cold heart of mine and show me that life wasn't always grim and ugly. Sadly, I noticed that she too had changed. After Shikiri's death, she saw a part of the world that her father and I tried to protect her from. At least I kept Viho from completely destroying her innocence in irreversible ways. I put all my things away and leaned against a tree. Perhaps I could take a short nap before dawn.