Chapter 1

.     .     .
We're currently walking back from our lesson. Me and Amilia are walking next to each other, her slightly taller frame, long black hair pulled into a ponytail and her uniform, which is all white except for little lines down the side that are green, showing what team we are, making me look like a child. And Mikhail who is 5’9’ and has short brown hair, warm tanned skin, looking very golden when put next to my pale skin. He has blue eyes, and a face completely clean of freckles. Unfair.
We round the corner of the all-white walled, grey ceilings, and grey carpeted flooring, with lines indicating where we are, rooms 210-220, and some door with, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or purple lines, and name plaques, showing who live there and what team they're on. My room is down this hallhall, so I wave at Amilia and Mikhail, and walk down the hall to my dorm, number 214. Hanging on the door is my name, Katie Underwood   . I scan my wrist and the green rimmed door slides open. I enter and the first thing I see is a picture, with light on the sides of it, illuminating it. It’s a picture of me, my brother and my mom before they went on theirere    mission. They were sent to one of the farther planets in our solar system. They’ve been gone for over a year…. And we haven’t heard anything from them. We lost connectioncontact with them soon after they landed. It is believed they crashed…. Or they got lost and died due to the circumstances of the planet. But I couldn’t think like that. I must find them. One way or another, I have to. “i'mI'm going to find them, dad. I promise.
I walk inside my organized mess of a room and grab the picture. I turn over the frame and take out the back of it. Inside is a letter from my mom and a picture of my dad. I always like looking at this picture because I never knew my dad. My mom gave me it when I was young and always told me that I remind her of him. I never believed her of course, but I admit that I look a lot like him, the dirty blonde hair, the bright green eyes, the pale skin, the freckles. My brother, while having hair and eyes, looks more like my mother with histhere warmer colored skin, glasses, and dimples. I wish they were here with me. My eyes start to go blurry, and a tear falls down my cheek. My dad died on a mission when I was little and now my brother and my mom are gone too… I’m all alone.
I set the picture and note back into the back of the frame and put it back on my nightstand. I lay back on my bed, my feet dangling off the edge of it, and cover my eyes with the back of my hand. “I will find you.” I whisper under my breath.
I get up and get on all fours and reach under my bed. I pull out a box and open the lid, making sure everything inside is still intact. Then I stand up, with the box, and walk over to my door. I push it on, and it slides open. I look left and then right, checking to see if any of the commanders are walking the halls. Once I know the coast is clear I run out and down the hall to my right. I came to a staircase and ran up it. At the top is a door to the roof. I scan my wrist and go up a few more stairs until I’m on the roof of the building. I scan my wrist, like I did when I came in, and the door slides open. I peek out the door and look both ways. Once I know no one is there, I run out and to the right.
I sit over by the edge of the roof and open the box. Inside is a pair of headphones and an old laptop and a mini satellite dish. There is also another screen that can connect to the laptop. I plug in the headphones and turn on the laptop. On it is a bunch of code. Through the headphones I could hear the normal chatter. But it seemed to be very busy today. I did pick up something even through the chatter though. “Stop him from getting there! He will ruin everything!” It was a deep voice, a very threatening voice. I had no idea what he was talking about. Of course, without context that would be hard. Theirs is lots more chatter, some mixing with others making it hard to hear and some just yelling. On the monitor hooked up to the laptop, it is picking up the noise coming through and writing the words it can hear on there. Not very helpful but it is a good tool.
“You geeking out up here Underwood?” I hear someone ask as my headphones get pulled a little bit away from my ears. I jump and turn around, the headphones falling onto my neck, and see Mikhail, who has a smirk on his face, and Amilia. I roll my eyes.
“No"
“Then what are you doing?”
“I'm… Charting stars?”
“Oh nice! can I see?”
“No! I, uh, I mean no its not finished?” I shrug my shoulders.
“Jeez ok. Chill.”
I sigh. “Sorry. Sorry.”
“This doesn’t look like any equipment we've got here?”
“That's because I built it" I say nonchalantly.
“You what?!”
“I built it?”
“You built it!?”
“Yeah...”
From the corner of my eye, I can see Amilia slowly inching toward the laptop. I turn around and see her about to touch one of the keys. “Amilia don't touch that!” I say as I slap her hand away. She pulls her hand back with a pout on her face.
“So, what are you really doing up here?” Mikhail asks. “I'm not dumb I could tell you were lying.”
“Fine.” I roll my eyes, “These past few years I've been listening for signs of the mission to Farfarout (I searched this up this is a real dwarf planet!!). But instead, I've been picking up signals from alien chatter.” I look Mikhail in the eye. His mouth hangs open. “Stop messing with my equipment Amilia!” I yell as I turn round to catch her touching my mini satellite dish. She groans and backs away, an angry look on her face. “Anyways. I've noticed some patterns and things here and there and I noticed that there's many words that seem to come up a lot. Balnura, Hintchua, and the most common one I’ve heard, Lexinia.” I continue as I adjust my glasses on my face. “But tonight is different, something is happening. They've been talking about Lexinia a lot, almost as if they’re scared of it. But I do know that----"
“Guys! Look!” Amilia interrupts as she points at something in the sky, and it's big, it's on fire, and it's coming towards us.
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

I just want to say that this is only my first draft. If you guys have an idea of how I can improve my story, I would truly appreciate it.