Chapter 21

Weeks passed.

Alarice and Nicholas never spoke to each other unless it's business. Caleb and Pierre are both suffering from the coldness and awkwardness of the atmosphere inside the office.

She will just greet his Majesty as courtesy and he will just nod as a reply. Then the whole time they'll just work and work and work. At night, a doctor sent by Nicholas would examine her. Though at first she rejected it because her mother already gave her medicine but the doctor begged for his life. He said that his Majesty will surely kill him if he failed to cure her.

Honestly, for her, it's not really necessary, but for the the sake of the doctor she obliged.

That day was her usual day. It was afternoon and she was working at their office. His Majesty was away visiting the Empress Consort.

Her head maid, Constance knock on the door.

"Come in." She said without taking her eyes from the papers.

"Your Majesty, we have to dress you. Today is the day for the small tea party of the Empress Consort. You need to go to congratulate her pregnancy." Constance said worriedly

She sighed. She really didn't mind congratulating her. It's just that she know that the people there will look down on her and mock her behind their fans and smiles.

Thinking about that it will happen, she's exhausted already.

"I understand. Caleb, please finish these works and arrange them from the most urgent one. You can use my seal accordingly." She instructed.

"Yes, your Majesty."

Constance and her both got out of the office.

"Can't I just go like this?" She asked

Constance looked at her attire in disdain. She was wearing a messy ponytail, a faded oversized shirt that she got from Nicholas long time age and a pants.

"Please mind your dignity."

"What dignity? I'm sure they'll be talking behind my back anyway. Besides, I don't want to prolong my stay there." She said

"I know. But please Your Majesty, you still need to look dignified and don't mind all the rumors." Constance said

Constance was like a mother to her. When the Empress Dowager, Nicholas' mother died, three years ago, she was the one who stood as his mother. Alarice was close to the late Empress Dowager. Like Constance, she was also like her mother.

Constance and the Empress Dowager, was first wary of her. Just like the others, they thought she stole the position of Qashanna but after being with her, they saw how strong and steadfast she is. And how much is she sacrificing for the sake of the two Nation.

That despite her very young age, she was dedicating her life for the people. Her honest and strong demeanor is what makes other people attracted to her.

Constance always tried to be fair between Nicholas' wives. However, after the incident that happened to the first concubine, and witnessed how Alarice weep her death, she can no longer looked at Qashanna's eyes.

She always believed that maybe Alarice will make a miracle and bring back that sweet Qashanna that they know. That's why she supported Alarice with all her might. She's their only worth.

After dressing Alarice in a simple and elegant purple dress, they tied her hair in a bun and put the necessary jewelry.

They need to make Alarice look naturally pretty as possible. This is so she won't look affected nor threatened by the Empress Consorts' pregnancy. Though their mistress looks like she just don't give a care about her pregnancy.