𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖓𝖌𝖊

ᏒᎥᏋᏝ

"Congratulations," I read the first line of the email."We are happy to offer you the full-time position of assistant to the President of Harlow Atl. Labs," I cheer loudly, jumping up and down the elevator.

"You idiot," the man whose bags I just dropped to the floor screams.

"Sorry," I whisper, kneeling to help in tossing his personal effects back into the bag.

When the man slams the door in my face without a tip, I don't even curse at him. After all, the elevator did open to reveal what color underwear he wore to the entire guests on the floor, I couldn't blame him for not giving me a tip. Not to mention, I was too high on the news of getting the position that nothing would make me upset.

I quickly open the PDF that's attached to the email.

Starting immediately on the 21st of this week. I didn't expect such an abrupt to the job. I needed at least two or three weeks to find a place in the city.

I send an email to the hiring manager, accepting the job offer but asking to extend the start time. Unfortunately, I got an email back saying they could only hire someone who would start in their specific time frame.

I calmed myself down, so I could think up a plan of action because I wasn't losing the job before even starting it.

As if by design, I hear Oscar's horrid voice in my ear.

"You shouldn't be on your phone," he breathes on my neck. "But, I'll let slide since you're my favorite employee."

I am about to accidentally knee him in the groin but then I decide to use the dirty old man to my advantage.

I grab a hold of him and I pull in the direction of his wife's office.

"Finally, coming to your senses -"

"Shut up," I cut him before barging into the office."Your wish is granted," I tell Sandra."I am quitting and going very far away from your husband."

Oscar bares his teeth at me, "You can't just up and quit."

"Oh, I can . . ." I tell him."And you guys are going to give me severance."

"You don't get severance if you quit." Sandra scoffs.

"I know that, "I scowl at her, "but you are going to say that you fired me or risk me telling everyone how your husband likes making three-hour drives across state lines for Grindr hookups."

I might be putting on a convincing act but my knees were shaking.

"You wouldn't dare," Oscar yells but his wife signals for him to pipe down.

"Fine," Sandra agrees as she tears a page out of her checkbook and hands it to me."Here's your severance," she hands the check to me.

"Really?" I ask her as I glance at the check she wrote me for two thousand dollars.

"Yes," she sighs deeply."Now, just leave us be," she pleads.

"At least you can escape him," that's what I hear her whisper under her breath.

I don't say anything in return and just leave. Still, I couldn't help but feel bad for her. She loved Oscar. In a way, we're both victims of him. She's just the victim that's married to him.

As I catch the bank just before closing, I advise myself to be selfish for once and not feel the least bit remorseful after cashing the check.

I rush home and head straight for my room not bothering to greet the family that still ignoring me. I reach for the underside of my dresser and pull off the wad of cash I taped to the bottom.