Prologue

In the eyes of Matilda,

"Can you tell me the story about the fairies now, Grandmother?" Evangeline pleads

"Dear, It's getting late. I think you ought to sleep now."

"Please, I promise I'll go to sleep after."

"You promise?"

"I pinky promise." The young 6-year-old begged.

"Alright, get into your sheets then." Matilda, Evangeline's grandmother, states.

Once Evangeline was sitting in bed, her grandmother began telling her the folklore of the Fairy Kingdom.

Centuries ago, Fairies lived in harmony with Elves. The fairies had the most tremendous amount of mana and were the healers of the universe. They healed animals, plants, and Elves. They helped the world grow. Fairies lived in a small area just outside the kingdom walls. They were led by the fairy queen, taking care of her people. They lived in the roots of trees and rested in flower beds. Sizing at about 6 inches, the fairies had iridescent wings that glimmered in the light. The fairies were a peaceful and gentle race. However, as time passed, elves became greedy and grew jealous of the fairies. On one terrible night, the elves marched into the fairy domain. They began capturing fairies and using nets and cages to capture the fairies, trying to harness their healing magic and unique wings. Most elves stayed idly by and watched as the torment happened. The fairy queen had her royal guard help the people and migrated as many fairies as possible. The fairy queen then spoke with the Queen Witch, asking for a safe haven. The Witch Queen agreed to allow the Fairies to live in the Witches' forest. The Witch Queen was initially reluctant but created a small space in the witches' forest for the fairies to live in peace. This became known as the Fairy Garden. Years passed as they lived together in peace, and no fairy dared leave the garden until the reckless daughter of the fairy queen turned 18. She longed for adventure. Flying to a nearby valley, she came face to face with an elf. She hid. She'd heard the stories of what the elves did to her people but had never seen one up close. She could transform into an elf using her mana and magic taught to her by the witches. The other elf took notice of her and greeted her. They spent hours with each other, turning days into weeks and weeks into months. The fairy in disguise began to feel ashamed as she had been deceiving the elf she had grown to love. One day, she planned to meet the young elf by the river. She told him the truth. She was frightened he would hate her. The handsome elf laughed as he told the fairy he loved her as she loved him. The couple vowed to love each other and knew their families would disapprove. They left at dawn, ran away together, and lived happily ever after.

Matilda finished the story as Evangeline yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"But grandmother, what happened to the elves and the fairies?"

"Well, no one knows. One day, they all just disappeared. No one knows where the Witches' Forest is, and the Elf kingdom is nothing but ruins."

"Well, I would love to meet a fairy."

"I know. I'd like to meet one too. Sweet dreams, my angel."

"Goodnight. Grandmother," Evangeline yawned.