20

Mila has never felt so insignificant in her life. 

Scarlet steps out of the back cabin with a face full of makeup and a new, silky black gown. Her bright eyes are accompanied by sharp black liner, and her wrists are decorated with shining diamond bracelets. She looks expensive, but Mila looks at her with less than nothing to spend. 

The young girl wonders why in the world Scarlet would want anything to do with her right now. She looks at her and shakes her head, reasoning that the other night must have been a dream. This woman could never see someone less than herself as attractive.

The thought hurts Mila, and she steps into a cabinet to let the woman pass as if a fly on the wall. Scarlet sighs when the younger disappears, rolling her eyes after assuming a good night's sleep would ease her frustration. 

It seems neither can figure the other out, and right now, they slip past each other with conflict unspoken and easily changed. 

"You look good, Scar." Fox smiles and claps his hands excitedly. "Can't believe we're already here."

Scarlet cocks her head with a smirk. "I slept most of the way." she picks up a hand-held mirror and pouts, assessing her handy work for one final time before getting ready to exit the jet. "I was exhausted."

"I'm glad you and Harlow had such luxury back there." Fox teases, "Mila and I snuggled in the seats while you two were spread out in the king-sized bed." 

"I paid for it." Scarlet winks. "I needed company anyway. You fidget too much."

Fox scoffs, but the energy between them feels fresh and full of life. Mila, however, remains quiet while picking at the corner of her nails. With Scarlet ready to exit, Harlow and Fox stand close behind. 

"Ma'am." a member of security reaches up for Scarlet's hand and guides her from the jet, followed by Fox, Harlow and lastly, Mila. "Welcome to Dubai." he finishes, nodding at the young girl still a considerable distance from the preoccupied trio in front.

Part of her regrets coming on the trip. She knew it would be a new experience and, with the expected publicity, assumed she'd be the last to enter any room. It seems as though the landing jet forced a divide between them, a crater in which she stands, unable to crawl out. 

They're pretty and famous. She's just a nobody tagging along for no reason in particular. 

A few moments of walking lead the group to a set of sleek, matte black cars. Scarlet takes the front while Fox and Harlow take the second, motioning for the girl to follow them. Mila smiles softly and sits opposite the pair, now giggling as if in love. 

"You're in good spirits this morning." Fox teases, "Did you guys paint each other's nails and have a pillow fight?"

Mila can't help but read more into Fox's taunts, watching Harlow playfully roll her eyes. "We had fourteen hours of sleep," she replies, "It's unheard of for Scarlet to sleep longer than four hours."

"She's a night owl with no choice but to wake up at five in the morning." Fox chuckles under his breath, rolling down his window. "What do you expect her to do with sixteen hours of time."

Mila watches the conversation unfold with a notable silence, her eyes trained into her lap while clutching a bag tight against her stomach. "You okay, baby?" Harlow leans forward and gently taps the girl's knee. "You haven't really said much all morning?"

Mila glances up and smiles awkwardly. "I'm good", she lies, unable to shake the feeling that she should have stayed home. "Just a little tired."

Fox looks at Harlow and smiles knowingly. "She gets like this." Fox states, motioning to the car a few feet in front of them, "These shows are huge, and the last thing she wants is for something to go wrong." Harlow nods along. "She's more in her head than anywhere else right now."