27

Part two because why not..

Tears soak my cheeks.

I run my fingertip over the glossy screen that covers the photos of me and my mom. Her beautiful brown eyes still feel just as vibrant as they did in person, glittering in the summer sun that had me and Willow camping outside for fun.

I don't remember how many times I've looked through this photo album. Locked away in my phone, the pictures belong to me. Each one tells a story I beg my mind never to forget. I promised I'd never forget her, yet everyday, the sound of her voice fades that little bit more.

I flip to the next one. It's my mom, sitting in her hospital bed while my grandma combed her hair. We laughed a lot that day, and Maisie was finally able to see her looking more like herself. It was probably the last time too. A few weeks later and she was as frail as a baby bird.

I swipe through right to the end, making sure to replay every memory as it was in the moment. It's a ritual now. Every time I have a quiet minute, I look into her eyes. Like now, sitting on the private balcony that connects to Scarlet's photo studio. It's peaceful and quiet. The midday sun keeps me company while I fiddle with the door key she had given me to escape the chattering and hollering.

"Room for me?"

I glance up despite recognising Scarlet's velvety voice. "Of course," I smile. "I mean you paid for it."

She sets herself down on the chair beside me and looks out toward the ocean. "Good investment, huh?"

"Absolutely." I reply. "I didn't know peace was possible in this place."

"It's a rarity." She giggles softly. "That's why I like to come out here sometimes. Peace is a necessity in life, don't ever pass up an opportunity to experience it."

I chuckle. "Peace isn't obtainable."

She looks across at me and furrows her brow. "You don't think?"

I shake my head. "Even moments like this are tainted. You think you're safe with the sun and the pretty view, but it doesn't take long for your thoughts to race."

She shrugs. "I agree." Silence becomes her for a small moment until she reaches across for my hand. She holds it, linking her fingers between my own, causing my cheeks to darken. "I distracted you from the thoughts, right?"

I stammer. "Right."

"Those thoughts may make you feel like everything is tainted, but you can taint those thoughts with positivity." I furrow my brow, almost too invested in the way our hands look sewn together. "Human contact sends huge waves of energy through our nervous systems. It's good for us, and so, excluding yourself all the time forces you to avoid that."

"Philosophical much?" I giggle, melting when she pulls my hand towards her mouth to softly peck at my knuckles before throwing it back.

"Logic." She winks, and I'm saddened not to feel her touch. "It's good to take time for yourself, but take it from me, being alone all of the time will not heal those wounds of yours."

I nod obediently, taking in every word she throws at me. "You're right." I smile, clicking my phone off to look across at her. "You're not a loner though. You have Teddy and Harlow and Fox? I'm sure others too. Someone like you has to have a huge circle."

"It's smaller than you think." She takes a deep breath in. "And I am a bigger loner than you think too."

I roll my eyes. "Sure."

"When have you seen photos of me out at a club or in a bar?" She laughs, sparking my thoughts. "I go home and spend time with my boy. When he's asleep, I read books or watch movies and draw. I don't socialise."

"You know, I didn't think you could be anymore relatable?" I can't help but laugh. "You're this gorgeous fucking woman with all of this money and fame, yet you go home and watch the Lego movie?"

She shakes her head and laughs back. The stunning smile filling me with pleasure. "Actually he's more so into the angry birds movie right now. I've had to watch it like seven times in the past two weeks."

"I have to be the only person in the universe that would find that sexy." She looks at me with a focused expression. "You and Teddy curled up watching cute movies with popcorn and blankets."

Her lips pout in thought. "Maybe we should have a movie night? The kids love each other, and I like the idea of you finding me sexy."

I sit up and blush. "Well it doesn't take much for me to find you sexy." I laugh. "You could wear a trash bag and I'd still be into it."

"Noted." She winks. "So, tonight?"

I nod back with a beaming smile. "Sure. Just as long as we can explore that physical touch thing you were talking about."

She smirks, narrowing her eyes with a sarcastic expression. "You're hilarious, James." She laughs. "Here, let me give you a preview."

She grabs my chin and kisses me. My heart flutters within my chest, and my breath hitches when her teeth bite into my lower lip.

"Go do some work." She winks at me and stands, leaving me on the balcony with a small giggle that resonates around my head.

"Yes boss." I clear my throat. "Anything."