Chapter 11 - Friends to Family

Out of every bad day, this one was the worst of them all. And it would take something extraordinary to top it.

It was supposed to be a normal day at Bayside Academy. The Annual Students Day Out, where only the students of the Academy where required to be at the school, and effectively do almost anything they wanted. Not a single teacher or supervisor was on campus at the time.

It was the early hours of Friday and Riley had only just arrived when the first tremor occurred. He could feel the ground shaking, but ever so slightly that he ignored. That was only the first warning of what was to come. Besides, he had his mind on just spending time with his friends.

The excitement of every other student almost overloaded his hearing as he walked through the crowd. He almost ran into Wilson, which would've resulted in him being the usual annoyance he normally was. But as he entered a more spacious area, he managed to find the rest of his friends, ignoring the second tremor. 

"Found you guys." He said, walking up to them. "The Academy has never been this created."

"I mean, it is a popular event." Jester pointed out. "It's not every day the teachers don't come in."

"Leaving us with free rein to do what we want!" Cheered Niamh. "What are we gonna do first?"

"I don't have an idea yet, but we might as well just walk around until we can think of something." Cameryn said.

As they got up, a third tremor shook the school. But this one, unlike the other two, was much more noticeable, and much more stronger.

"Another one." Adam said with some curiosity. "What's going on, we don't get this many tremors in one year."

"Well no major damage has been caused, so it isn't anything serious so far." Hannah exclaimed. "But the experts will be looking at it, so no need to worry about it."

Following her sentence, another, much more powerful, tremor shook the Academy. Powerful enough now that it was too much for all the old, weak, trees round the campus to give up. By now, everyone had noticed what was going on.

"Way to jinx it, Hannah." Kaedan joked. "But on a more serious note, something is definitely wrong."

"That one was almost double the combine strength of the last three." Zachary added on. "If there's going to be another one, I can say for sure things will not end well. If that is the case, we need to get somewhere more stable."

Only one place in the area would have the best chance to survive another, much stronger earthquake, and that was the main Academy building. Knowing this, and that the next one could happen any moment, the eight moved towards it, half speed walking. And right as they were in front of the entrance, the fifth and final earthquake hit.

And the ground, literally, began to pull apart. 

The crowds of students bean to rush towards the Academy for shelter, as everything around them couldn't stop shaking it. To them, anywhere in the Academy was safe, so they all piled into different classrooms, hiding under anything big and strong enough.

The eight, stayed in the biggest of the storage closest hiding on the shelf closet to the floor for cover, as the shaking of the ground shook the items on the shelves, a few even falling to the ground and shattering into millions of pieces.

As the tremors died done and the screams of panic evaporated, Adam was the first to leave, leading the group out of the storage room and into the hallway.

"How lucky are we that the earthquake happened on the only day where we were on campus with no teachers." Kaedan spoke sarcastically.

"Not very lucky I'm guessing." Cameron responded.