Chapter 8

The brush rocked between my fingers as I stared at the canvas. The usual whimsy of my paintings was lacking in this one. The lines were harder than I would have liked, the colours too stark for the delicate imagery. I let out an aggravated sigh. I was putting too much pressure on myself and it was starting to manifest itself into my work. If I wanted an actual shot at getting a solo show this year, I had to settle and allow things to come naturally.

Placing my brush down, I stretched my hands above my head in a much needed attempt to release some of the tension in my shoulders. Perhaps it was time to call it a night. I gnawed at my bottom lip, considering adding a couple more highlights to one specific area of the canvas, when a knock sounded at the door.

"Veer!" I shouted, hoping he would be able to get it.

It was probably Daniel anyway. The two had bi-weekly date-nights. It was frustratingly adorable and absolutely nauseating all at the same time.

Removing the one headphone I had in, I listened for any sign of Veer coming to open the door for his boyfriend. Instead I was met with the familiar sound of running water from the upstairs bathroom.

With a reluctant groan, I set down my palette and brushes, wiping my hands on my smock before making my way to the front door. Twisting the lock, I jiggle the handle open.

"Hey Danny, Veer's just—" The sentence died on my tongue when instead of a blonde haired angel, I was met with the cunning devil in a backwards cap.

Booker's smirk split even wider. "Hey there, neighbour."

My expression dropped. "I'm not interested." I moved to shut the door in his stupid, chiselled face, but his foot got in the way again.

"I'm not trying to sell you anything," Booker insisted from the other side, a deep rumble of laughter coating his words. It grated on my nerves and I tried even hard to push the door shut.

"I don't trust you."

Booker wasn't phased in the slightest. "Come on, I can't be that bad."

"You're more persistent than a herd of Girl Scouts," I panted around the strain, shoulder pressed into the wood.

"I didn't come here to invite you to another party." When I didn't let up he continued. "Or ask to use your place for the night."

I stopped trying to close the door. It was pointless anyways. Clearly, I wasn't getting anywhere. "Then what do you want?"

"Your sister invited me over. I was coming to see if she was around... to work on our French project."

The door creaked back open and Booker's sparkling blue eyes came back into view. "Now I know you're full of shit."

Booker appeared even more pleased by my response. "Why would you say that?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "You're telling me you actually do course work?"

He mimicked me, tilting his chin in a good-natured challenge. With the door no longer between us, I couldn't help but notice the faint scent of pine body wash and whatever cologne he was wearing. "Are you saying I get a free ride around here?"

I raised an eyebrow at him.

If possible, his grin split even wider. "I enjoy the challenge sometimes."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure you do."

"So..."

"So what?" I pressed.

"Is your sister around?"

Right, Alex.

"You wait here," I ordered, slamming the door before he could protest.