IX

“I don’t like this.”

Kate clutched her hat before placing it on a rack. “I know.”

Matthew Burke crossed his arms, a hostile expression on his kind face. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into this. I can’t believe Ben agreed.”

She gave a hesitant smile to her friend. “I’m so thankful.”

“As am I,” Thomas Lawson said, bobbing his head in Matthew's direction, even though his sight was obscured at the moment.

Matthew glared at the blindfolded guard, his rage so different from the boy she used to know. “Are you sure he can’t see anything? Are you sure he didn’t have you tailed?”

“I took every precaution.” Kate lifted her shoulders, trying to look confident, even though she would never feel completely safe. “I told you his loyalties are not with the Sacred State.”

This meeting had required delicate negotiation on Kate's part. Thomas was still trying to protect his cover and Kate could only tell Matthew so much. Not that he would have welcomed an Umbra operative into his home with open arms. It was still a wonder she convinced him with such scanty information.

Matthew crisscrossed his apartment, a home that had gone through many changes since Kate lived there. Everything about it seemed innocuous, plain furniture and various candles. Most wouldn’t know that under the floorboards and hidden in a seat was a forbidden stash of books and papers, all prohibited by the Sacred State. All his life, Matthew collected remnants of a world the Sacred State wanted to bury and preserved them, copying them and passing them along to people. If the authorities discovered, he would be accused of attempting to corrupt others. That was more than enough to get him executed.

After some furious pacing, Matthew halted and his shoulders slumped. “Forgive me. I’m not as trusting as I used to be. I believe you looked into him and trust him, but there's a danger if he knows you. If the state ever put pressure on him, he could identify us.”

“I wouldn’t,” Thomas said.

“I’m not talking to you!” Matthew snarled.

Kate jolted. She had known Matthew for almost twenty years and he seldom showed any fury. Not when he was a child and had to watch his beloved mother die of a disease given to her by the Sacred State. Not when men left him because they feared the consequence of a taboo relationship. He had learned at a young age to bury his anger when he watched people who shared his old faith put to death. Guilt swirled in Kate when she saw the slight tremble of his hand. She hadn’t realized he would be this scared.

“We can leave,” she said. “I’ll find someone else.”

“That could take too long.” The anger faded from Matthew’s face. “You need help. And if you brought me anyone else... I wouldn’t have been happy, but it would have been easier. This man could destroy us all.”

She glanced at Thomas, wary about how he would take the accusation. As always, he showed no reaction, waiting with more patience than she could have managed. “I know why you’re worried, Matthew,” she murmured. “This is also a risk for me. But this is important. We need answers.”

Matthew rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Take the blindfold off. If you say he’s trustworthy, I’ll pray that you’re right. Hopefully, he won’t figure out where we live. Let’s take care of this business.”

Kate went over to Thomas and undid his blindfold, revealing his eyes. Her gloves prevented any physical contact, but she vibrated a bit, on edge from their closeness. “I’m sorry. Everyone here has something to lose if the Sacred State finds us.”