Chapter 8

Crawfish season was in full swing. The warm, sunny weather was the perfect reason for a backyard boil. An idea that formed in Saxon's mind which was why they were in her backyard setting up under the brimming March sun although she hadn't graced them with her presence. Indigo was sure where she was, maybe running another quick errand before all their family and friends descended on the residential property or getting a quick workout followed by one of her kale juices. A daily work out and a hyper healthy, all natural diet was something her older sister swore by since entering in remission.

Indigo wasn't fond of the verdant liquid but if it kept her sister alive she'd keep her stocked up all year round.

"Bobby Blue Bland or Johnnie Taylor?" Harrison asked, eyes still trained on the laptop as he slumped back in the lounge chair that used to provoke a scowl from his mama but now that he was in his thirties she decided to let Father time educate him on the importance of good posture.

Indigo stopped towing with the cream and red tablecloth. "Both. Add some Zydeco, too. Xavier's family is coming through."

Harrison nodded as his fingers resumed navigation of the cursor. "I don't know much about Zydeco but I'mma Google it."

"Just ask Cairo." Indigo suggested. She was sure their deejaying little cousin will have recommendations. He knew a lot about many genres of music.

"You be smart sometimes." He said digging his cell phone from the pocket of his orange chino shorts.

She tutted with a smile forming while smoothing the wrinkles out of the other picnic table wishing she had a little more time to prepare. These days she had to be more than smart. She had to be a strategic mastermind. With opening a second boutique, her days were long and tasks were many. The mornings have been the most hectic. It didn't matter if it was a weekday or weekend. There was always something to do. Today it was getting the girls ready for their soccer game and since they both wanted buns in their hair and pancakes for breakfast, she had to wake up earlier than usual. Zane got his oatmeal even though he wanted to play with the blueberries rather than eat them.

Since she entered motherhood, chaotic mornings had been the norm. A part of her missed those slow, quiet days when it was just her and Gambit ambling around the house in yoga pants and a bralette with nothing and no one needing her. Or taking an unplanned nap in the backyard after all the cleaning and prep work was done.

She was grateful for those days of leisure all those years ago. It was probably why she had the stamina now.

"Hazel told me ya'll were at the gallery last night." Harrison's voice cut through the 'Hole in the Wall' streaming lowly from the laptop speakers in the vacant backyard. "How'd it go?"

"It went." She expressed plainly placing a bright spring centerpiece on the picnic table. She took a step back to determine if it was perfectly in the middle even though it didn't really matter because someone's cousin-uncle-friend would move it when the dominos or cards came out. "Beautiful artwork."

Harrison let out a low sigh, eyes lifting from the screen but avoiding Indigo. "It's partly my fault she had to book him. If it hadn't been for—"

"Cornelius Hargrove is not your fault." She affirmed.

"I hired him." He countered shifting his sight from the pecan tree to her. "Without vetting his references because we were cool in college. So, yeah. It's my fault."

Indigo swallowed the rebuttal she had percolating in her mind knowing he wasn't going to believe her. She had failed to reassure him many times before but he was certain the fraudulent accountant that stole his money instead of paying the IRS was all his fault. Did he have a percentage of the responsibility? Yes. But it was less than ninety percent. Less than fifty.

"You're almost over this hurdle." She slipped her hands in the pockets of the lilac sundress that periodically danced with the wind. "It'll be back like it used to."

He nodded, then stilled his eyes on her. "I have a bad feeling that you're right. But storms come and storms go. My storm is nearing its end but I fear another is on the horizon."

"Huh," She said, tapping the heel of the cowboy boot on the gravel pathway. Boots were a requested shoe of Thyme so all the Larsen's were wearing them. Even Tate.

"Last night, Hazel told me he...Felix asked if she knew any good real estate agents." Harrison didn't click on another song; he let the birds serenade them. "He's planning on staying."

Indigo shrugged even though her heart rate elevated. "He can do what he wants. It has nothing to do with me or my family. There isn't a storm brewing." She glanced up at the cloudless, sunny sky then back to him. "We're going to have a perfect day. Good food and good music with family." She shook out the other table cloth. "And add some Keyshia Cole to the playlist."

He nodded. "Keep the request coming."

She did just that while decorating the other picnic table hoping the music would keep the worry that sprouted in the pit of her stomach from springing up like weeds.