Chapter 16

I helped my mother in organizing the banquet, our family butler Mr. Burk was very helpful and was very loyal to my mother so he lent us useful tips in inviting guests and arranging the halls, menus, assigning maids and etc.

My father was nowhere to be seen and seeing my mother being silent about the topic, I didn't feel like bringing it up. However what seemed strange was the fact, I noticed he was leaving home late at night for business but it is always at a fixed time. He also doesn't take any guards with him and a different coachman rides the carriage with him. I wanted to look into it further but I was quite busy and I didn't want to trouble Pam about it either. As I was thinking about it while staring blankly at my window my personal maid Illina brought me a letter.

I read the contents and was very shocked. Immediately I took my coat and rushed outside.

I didn't expect to bump into Reggie who was gazing at me concerned "What's wrong Edith? You look pale," he asked gently and I tried to hold back the tears. I had to also go and see to myself but I didn't know what to tell him.
I gave up when he patted my shoulder and started crying. I don't know how long I cried but when I lifted my head from my hands Reggie was holding a warm cup of coffee in his hand.
"Here... It will keep you warm," he gave it to me. I stared into the drink feeling quite embarrassed.

"I - I..."

"It's OK, take your time, lady Edith," he said and sat next to me, on the bench.

"I am sorry... I was just upset about something. I-I heard some news so I wanted to check if it was true..." I tried to explain though I didn't want to say everything to him. He nodded slowly "It's OK, you don't have to explain. But Whittling mansion is far from here. Did you come in your carriage?"

I nodded and he took me back to the carriage. I was quite glad he didn't ask me any questions and my mind was still a whirl of complex thoughts.

I arrived at home in silence. When I saw my mother smiling while talking to the head maid my heart couldn't bear to tell her especially not until I confirmed it myself. Derek couldn't come to visit me and it has already been a week since he last came to see me.

Feeling overwhelmed I went to my room. Soon the banquet will be over. After it is done... Then I will see.

     **********************

(Before the letter was received...)

Pam looked at the man who was absently twirling a coin in his hand. The glisten of his eyes were visible through his mask as he stared at her intently "Well lady, I hope you are satisfied with my work."

She was upset when she read the content. Something surged in her stomach rising to her throat wondering how Edith would handle the news but she managed to compose herself. "You've done well. I will send the deeds to the mine tomorrow. Our transaction will end here."
She got up to leave but he spoke again "Aren't you waiting for my reply? Instead of the coal mine I wonder if lady can give me something else?"

She turned around somewhat skeptical "What do you mean?"

"I want to form a business partnership with you. Give me half the rights to the mine while you can provide me a little secret of the Roster family."

Pam gave a sarcastic laugh "What? Secrets are meant to be secret for a reason."

"It won't be hard. It is related to the trade route of Zeda Kingdom. I only require a map."

Pam squinted her eyes, she wondered why he wanted a map of the not so importantly considered Zeda Kingdom. She decided it wasn't her business but the coal mine was actually her main valuable resource unlike her other siblings and cousins, she only had this coal mine as her sole asset and she didn't really want to part with it easily. She bit her lip and then made a decision "Fine, I agree."

Cory chuckled at his friend who was tiredly gazing at the horizon. He had teleported to Zeda Kingdom as one of the few most powerful magic inherited nobles of Waze.

"Having fun with a new master?"

"Enough!" Derek said punching his friend in the stomach.

"The banquet of the Whittling mansion is going to be held soon. Oh and I got a map as well."

Derek grunted and looked through the routes. Cory saw the faint faraway figure of the approaching female commander and grinned "Looks like you have a new fan."

Derek was uninterested "Whatever, what about Edith? Are you giving her proper protection?"

"Alf is the best you know. And for some reason Koora often goes to visit her as Well. Oh gotta go... "

Derek looked up and her shadow fell over him as he sat on the ground.
"Tired? If you win Jock on this one then the soldiers will truly accept you as their commander."

Derek nodded "I won't give up yet."

He stood up and was about to start training when she suddenly said "Um Master said you could eat. Do you want to have lunch?"

He shook his head "I have to finish the practice. You can go ahead."

His indifferent reply made her feel slightly disappointed but she gave a smile and went back.

He held his sword and summoned his magic to his hands. The sword glowed in red as it lit in a fiery blaze. He propelled the fire as it turned to a large dragon menacingly glaring waiting to attack. Being able to maneuver the dragon was his main magic. Unlike Cory whose magic was lightning, Derek had fire which also only can be molded into the figure of a creature. He has yet to master producing fire at any time he wanted. But there is also a rumor that the first heir of Duke Basilisk is cursed. The curse is he will lose himself when he acquires maximum magical capabilities. Derek doesn't really believe and he has constantly progressed in his capabilities as his father also doesn't bother to mention the rumor to him.

Sage of Illusion was standing by the shade of a oak tree viewing his new pupil. A sad smile appeared onto his face "What an unlucky fate? Poor lad, so much potential. Let's hope you will overcome this time."