Chapter 16: Desperate Measures

Love itself is what makes life so sweet and so painful. - Van Gogh

Park Soo-ah slammed the burner phone shut, a frustrated growl escaping her lips

Park Soo-ah slammed the burner phone shut, a frustrated growl escaping her lips. Dr. Jin had been infuriatingly tight-lipped. Their secret meetings hadn't yielded any usable information. She needed proof, a photo, a video clip, anything to expose the truth about Jin and Jungkook's forbidden relationship.

Soo-ah paced her cramped apartment, eyes scanning the floor plan. Jin's clinic was on the ground floor of a three-story building. Her best bet was to get a vantage point from the upper floors. Landlords were notoriously wary of renting to single women, so Soo-ah knew she couldn't just knock on doors. But desperation, as they say, breeds innovation.

A mischievous glint sparked in her eyes. She grabbed her phone and dialed a number.

"Hey Min-joon, it's Soo-ah. How's the band practice going?"

"Hey Soo-ah! It's going good. We're finally getting the hang of that new bridge."

"That's great! Listen, I have a bit of a favor to ask..."

The next evening, Soo-ah stood outside a nondescript building across the street from Jin's clinic. Min-joon, her ever-reliable friend and lead guitarist of their struggling indie band, stood beside her, a backpack slung over his shoulder.

"You sure about this, Soo-ah? This whole thing feels a bit...stalkerish," Min-joon mumbled, nervously adjusting the straps of his backpack.

"Relax, it'll be fine. We just need to set up some equipment, and then I can scout the place," Soo-ah reassured him, though a prick of unease wormed its way into her heart. Even for her, this felt excessive.

They entered a dimly lit music store, the smell of old vinyl and dust filling their nostrils. The owner, a gruff-looking man with a long ponytail, eyed them suspiciously.

"We're here for the practice room reservation under Min-joon's name," Soo-ah said brightly.

The owner grunted and gestured towards a door in the back. The practice room was small and stuffy, but it served their purpose. Min-joon expertly unpacked their instruments, setting up a microphone and a small amplifier.

"What exactly are you looking for, Soo-ah?" Min-joon asked, tuning his guitar.

"Anything that proves Dr. Jin and Jungkook are...involved," Soo-ah replied, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper.

Min-joon's fingers faltered on the strings. "Soo-ah, I don't know about this. What if they're not...?"

"They are," Soo-ah insisted, her voice laced with a dangerous certainty. "I just need proof."

She explained her plan. Min-joon would use a high-powered microphone to capture any audio from Jin's clinic across the street. With a long enough zoom lens, she could potentially snag photos or even videos through the window.

Min-joon listened patiently, his brow furrowed in concern. When she finished, he let out a long sigh.

"Soo-ah, this is a huge invasion of privacy. And what if we do get something? What then? You'll expose their relationship? Have you thought about the consequences? Jungkook's career would be ruined!"

Soo-ah glared at him. "Don't lecture me about consequences, Min-joon! Jungkook lied to me! He used me! And that quack of a doctor is enabling him!"

The anger in her voice startled even herself. But it was true. The betrayal cut deep. Exposing their relationship felt like the only way to get revenge, to make them feel the same pain she did.

Min-joon, sensing her rising anger, backed down. "Alright, alright. We'll do this your way. But if things get out of hand, we're out of here, okay?"

Soo-ah nodded curtly, her heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.

* * * * *

The next few hours were an agonizing exercise in patience. Hunched over the window with her camera, Soo-ah strained her eyes, the zoom lens offering a distorted view of Jin's clinic. The afternoon sun cast long shadows across the room, making it difficult to see anything clearly.

Min-joon monitored the audio feed, his brow furrowed in concentration. The muffled sounds of traffic and distant conversations filled the headphones, punctuated by the occasional clack of keyboards or ringing of phones.

Discouragement gnawed at Soo-ah. Maybe this was a fool's errand. Maybe Jin and Jungkook were being cautious, meeting somewhere else. Just as she was about to give up, a movement across the street caught her eye.

The blinds on one of the clinic's windows shifted slightly. A moment later, she saw a familiar mop of jet black hair appear at the edge. Her breath hitched. It was Jungkook!
Jungkook leaned against the windowsill, his phone pressed to his ear. He seemed agitated, his voice barely a murmur. Soo-ah couldn't make out the words, but the frustration radiating from him was clear.

Her heart hammered against her ribs. This was it. Proof. She zoomed in on Jungkook, snapping photos frantically. Just then, the door to the room opened, and Jin entered the frame.

They were talking in hushed tones, their body language tense. Soo-ah continued snapping photos, her mind racing. This was gold. With this evidence, she could expose their relationship to the world.

But as quickly as it began, the scene ended. Jin placed a hand on Jungkook's shoulder, a brief moment of comfort that sent a jolt of jealousy through Soo-ah. Then, Jungkook straightened up, a determined glint in his eyes.

The door shut behind them, leaving Soo-ah staring at a blank window. A wave of exhilaration washed over her, quickly followed by a cold dread. What had they been discussing? Were they planning to fight back?

Suddenly, the weight of what she had done hit her. Spying on someone in their private space, twisting their private moments into potential ammunition. A pang of guilt stabbed at her conscience.

Min-joon, watching her from behind, mirrored her grimace. He took off the headphones and placed a hand on her shoulder.

Soo-ah numbly scrolled through the photos on her camera, each one a stark reminder of the line she'd crossed.

Jungkook's frustration, Jin's concern - the images felt voyeuristic, a glimpse into a world that wasn't hers to see.
Min-joon, ever perceptive, picked up on her shift in mood. "Soo-ah, you okay?"

She forced a smile. "Yeah, just... tired. Maybe we should head back."

Packing up their equipment, a heavy silence settled between them. The weight of their actions hung in the air, unspoken but undeniable.

Back at her apartment, Soo-ah transferred the photos to her computer. Staring at the digital copies on her screen, she felt a cold dread pool in her stomach. What had she gotten herself into?

Clicking through the images, a sliver of doubt crept in. The photos lacked the intimacy she'd envisioned. They captured a conversation, not a romance. Could she spin this into an exposé? Was this enough to ruin their careers?

[A/N: Hello Army's 💜💜💜, I'm back again...😅 thank you so much for 1k reads!!! 😭😭 it was so unexpected frr...this month was so hectic that I couldn't concentrate properly...from now on, updates gonna be regular...Promise 🤞🏻🤞🏻...Please vote and comment so that I can understand if it's going well or not, Saranghae....😘]