𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒

'The boy that I loved set me up last night'
~anonymous.

Rahma, still in her pajamas -- with a knee length hijab over it, walked out of her room in utter confusion. She knows very well Ali is at work and doesn't get off until 5, but she had clearly heard the sound of the passcode of their apartment being inputted and then a click confirming that the person was successful in getting in. It has to be Ali then, for no one else knows their passcode.

When she finally reached the living room, she saw a female handbag and veil instead on the couch. Nothing made sense, then she heard sounds coming from the kitchen and she walked in the direction.

She was met with her sister-in-law putting a pot on the gas cooker and trying to put on the fire. Rahma didn't know what to say or do. She was sure Ali wasn't with his sister as she didn't perceive his cologne in the living room, so her sister-in-law must have let herself in, something she thought impossible.

"Farha". She called the lady's name and the said person turned to look at her. She allowed her gaze to take in her brother's wife.

"Are you just waking up?". She asked in the usual disrespectful tone she used when talking to Rahma, though Rahma was well older than her with two to three years.

"Yes, I didn't know you were coming". Rahma asked and farha glanced at her briefly then returned her gaze to the pot.

"I was in the area and I felt hungry. Ya haidar gave me the permission to come whenever I feel like". She explained like it was the most normal thing.

"You don't mind right?". Farha asked and then moved to get noodle packets from a cabinet.

"You should have called so I would know you are coming. It's not right to just come into someone's home. Did Ali tell you the passcode?". Rahma replied wat hung the girl go about her kitchen like she was in her father's house. It annoyed Rahma but she chose not to say anything.

"I told you ya haidar gave his permission, so I don't think I need to inform you of my coming". Rahma stared at her, thinking of what to say.

"I didn't think you were like this Rahma,". Farha started then turned to look at Rahma, taking a few steps forward so they were closed.

"You shouldn't be stingy with food my brother bought with his money. This house also belongs to my brother, so I think I'm allowed to come in and eat on a stressful and hot day, right?". Rahma still didn't say anything.

"Just go about your business like I'm not here, I'll leave when I'm done. I'm not jobless". The last statement was a jab to tease Rahma on not having anything doing but sit at home and cook and wait for her husband.

She felt her anger rise, fed up with the girls' disrespect, not caring how Ali would feel when he heard, she spoke up.

"Farha, leave my house". She said calmer than she intended but it didn't stop her voice from sounding serious and intimidating.

"What?". Farha stared at her like she had grown two heads.

"You heard me. I can't have you come into my home and disrespect me, so leave". They stared at each other for a whole minute.

"You'll regret saying this to me". Farha told her then brushed her shoulder against Rahma's and went into the living room, gathered her things and left.